SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kgsd_gw

Layout help

kgsd
15 years ago

Hello, I'd like to get your opinions on my proposed layout for our master bath and closet. The current one is cramped and has NO storage except under the sinks. Right now we have a small cabinet under the window, but the cabinet adds to the cramped feeling. What I hate the most is having to stand right next to the toilet to dry off when coming out of the shower. It just feels gross.

The adjacent room (at the bottom of the picture) is the master bedroom. We're trying to do this on somewhat of a budget and DIY as much as possible while getting rid of the 70s/80s cheap builder grade finishes. The shower and toilet are fine and we'd like to keep the shower in place and reuse the toilet if we can, but the tub, vanity and flooring have to go. The far left wall and top wall are exterior walls, and none of the other walls can be moved except the walls between the bed and bath.

Here's the existing layout vs proposed new layout. I'm thinking of getting rid of the walls between the vanity area and toilet/shower/tub area, then knocking out the weird part of the closet and moving the toilet. I'd like to add some tall cabinets in between the tub and vanity, and to keep the closet a decent size, bump the bottom closet wall out.

existing on left, proposed on right:

{{gwi:1442086}} {{gwi:1442087}}

My first question is: what do you think about the "bump-out" into the bedroom? The bedroom is very long and narrow, and taking another ~3 ft out with the closet won't do much. The bedroom is at the end of our hall and you can see straight into the room from the living room. I'm actually thinking that the bump-out would help block the view a little. But will it be awkward?

Second: what do you think of the new layout overall?

Third: do you think my plan is the most cost-effective?

Comments (4)