SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saute

Layout help - please help me get this right

saute
12 years ago

I am very glad to have found this site and have loved reading so many thoughtful posts and seeing so many inspiring kitchens. I have been puzzling over a new layout for our kitchen for some time and would appreciate forum members' feedback and suggestions to help me optimize the fuction of the space within the constraints of our house.

The house:

- 2800 sq foot Victorian

- from the front door you see straight down a short hall, through the end of the living room and right through the center of the kitchen - the range wall is visible from the front door

The project:

- gut and renovate 14' x 25.5' kitchen; basement is unfinished, so we can readily move services

- currently we have a disfunctional U-shaped layout (one window currently bricked in), washer and dryer in kitchen (will be moved to new laundry room), 50 year old cheaply home built cabinets, one sink, no vent hood, poor lighting, not enough counter space, etc

Limitations:

- pass through to family room will be new, so its location can shift a bit (the location drawn will be convenient to door from family room to patio)

- window and door locations cannot be moved; bottoms of windows are low (below counter height), so we definitely don't want cabinets in front of them

- I would like to have the prep counter facing the front of the house (on the peninsula); right now it's on the top short wall and I have my back to the front of the house (and all of the kitchen)

- the only viable place to vent the range hood is on the top wall, where the range is drawn; also, I like this location for the range as it's a focal point for the kitchen

- I am right handed and like the dishwasher to the left of the clean up sink

About us:

- small family; I love to cook and bake; about once a week DH is cooking at the same time

- four burner range is often not enough - I want a 36" 6 burner range plus a 24" electric oven (which will be the oven I use the majority of the time)

- entertain casually 2-3 times a month (6-8 people)

- a few times a year we host family get togethers of 16-20+; although this happens infrequently, we want to plan to space so that it can function for these larger events

- we have a formal dining room off of the living room that we use regularly (keeping this)

- we like having a table in the kitchen and don't want to replace it with island/peninsula seating

- no plans to sell the house, though we don't want to do anything that would be expected to repel potential buyers in the future!

This layout:

- not shown: we have a freestanding pantry cupboard along the angled wall (bottom right) that we plan to keep; I'd like to put in some sort of desk/planning center area in the bottom left corner of the kitchen

- like: prep facing table and front of house, clean up sink not in line of sight from front of house, range as focal point, having working part of kitchen at top and eating area in bottom half (originally the kitchen was actually two rooms, divided and used this way)

- concerns: fridge location relative to peninsula prep - is this workable?

{{gwi:1600892}}

Comments (8)