SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris11895

What are you doing (or did you do) for HVAC in your build?

chris11895
13 years ago

I posted a message about radiant heat throughout the house in the HVAC forum and got some very very useful advice. My dilemma in planning has been that I want radiant throughout the house but I have heard that is extremely expensive especially since we also need AC. We're in Mass so we have very cold, dry winters and dry skin/eczema is an issue in our family. In the homes/apartments I lived in which used forced hot air I *hated* it. I remember feeling like I was going to crawl out of my skin. I recently mentioned "forced hot air" at a gathering and everyone said "don't do it". But still, I don't want to make a hasty decision based on my time in various 1990s HVAC systems. It sounds like if forced hot air is designed properly and installed properly, add in some other caveats (heatpump, insulation, modulating furnace) you can end up with a very comfortable home. Thus being said, I really want to hear from everyone else out there who is building and see what you are going to do. SO, what did you do, or are you planning to do in your build? And I'd really love to hear from anyone who is finished building and is in love or has regrets. So have it - what is your input and what lead you to go that way? Are you happy? :-) Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)