SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vivachick

WWYD - contractor issue!

vivachick
15 years ago

We are remodeling the shower (tiling it), however we are NOT changing the existing plumbing . The home is from 2001 so we assumed the plumbing was new enough to keep.

We ordered a 1700 Series Delta trim kit to use with our existing Delta shower rough-in. Turns out we needed to use a 1400 series due to the "old" age of our shower. The contractor broke the cartridge while removing it.. no big deal, ordered a new trim kit and bought a new cartridge immediately to replace the broken one.

They fix the cartridge and seal the shower. There is a black tar like substance (I suppose this is standard?) all over the shower that goes above the concrete backerboard. The granite guys came in today to apply the granite. Today they notice a small leak coming out of the shower. This leak wasn't there before anyone started work on the shower. Now they want to charge me to rip out the wall they just sealed, apply new dry wall, new concrete, new "black tar" and $350 in plumbing to replace the rough-in. Am I crazy to think I shouldn't be reponsible for this? The shower worked fine before they touched it and no problems with the rough-in or shower were mentioned BEFORE they sealed it.

For what parts of this should I be willing to pay??

THANKS

Comments (5)