SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonkat99

My House Has Issues - WWYD w/ This One?

moonkat99
15 years ago

My darling little 1915 house presents issues with pretty much every improvement I want to do.

My first 10 years in this house were spent mostly on major repairs & cosmetic fixes. In the last 2 years I've been finally able to focus on making the rooms work & look the way I want (within a somewhat limited budget) - I've redone a bath, the kitchen (almost done) & the LR (which still needs tweaking - I'll be asking for help there). Now the area of the house that needs help the most is the back room (currently my office) & the stairs leading to the basement.

The stairs present a safety issue since they have no railing, so it's finally reached the top of the priority list. Long past due, but then so is everything else!

Here are the stairs:

The Hopi rug on the left covers an unused doorway (closed off on the other side). There is a little cabinet on the right - who KNOWS what purpose that ever served????

Here's the cabinet open:

Looking down:

The sealed off doorway:

The stairs & wall will be painted - don't know what color yet. I have a lovely wall sconce that I may use for the bare bulb (picture me rolling my eyes here); however, it might not allow for enough light. I'll get some pics of that later.

The question of the moment is about the stair rail - which side to put it on? If I put it on the door side it will involve some construction to match the wood that's there, & that's just not in the budget right now (I'm replacing windows, & have some front porch issues, & just spent a bundle on the LR, so some things either need a temporary fix, or a low-budget one). I could then perhaps remove the cupboard doors & make it into a little niche or shelving. Or I can seal off the cubbyhole cab & put the railing on that side.

Or....?????? Any brilliant ideas? Or not so brilliant - creative, beautiful, just something that works....I'm open. Just tired of constantly trying to figure everything out myself, & I now know how fabulous some of the suggestions that come from here are!

Comments (15)