SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luvhome_gw

Gas range: want pro-style with temp readout and timer

luvhome
12 years ago

I'm getting our kitchen cabinets painted white (they're currently a pink-hued pickled oak), so before that job, I thought I should go ahead and get the cabs reconfigured a bit to make room for a custom mantle style hood which I love. Seems like if I'm doing all that, I should have a nice gleaming pro-style range under it. But here's the problem, apart from the ever increasing budget, lol: I can't seem to find a range with the current features of my white 11-year old Maytag. In fact, I'm having a hard time justifying (to my very practical and eco-minded (as in earth-friendly, not economy) self) a new range given that our current one has never (other than the oven ignitor needing to be replaced twice in the whole time we've had it) given us any problems, either with the burners or the oven. (No fans running too loud, no surfaces getting too hot to touch, as I've read about some Bertazzonis, no uneven heating in the oven, even without convection). So I figure, if I could get more btus, or a double oven, I could see it being worth it. We went to a higher-end appliance store, and the salesperson was a big Thermador fan and showed us the PRG304GH for $4149. Both DH and I loved that all 4 burners go to 18K btu, that the two left burners have an extra-low feature, and that the oven racks are on rollers. In addition I loved the look and feel of the knobs, and that they sort of "click" back into place when you turn them off. Well, money being what it is, I set about looking for a better price, and I thought I was in luck when I found it on line for $2799! And then I looked at what it doesn't have: a clock, (okay, I'll put up a wall-clock), a self-cleaning oven (okay, I really only used the self-clean feature a handful of times), a temperature read-out, (okaaay, I guess... umm, I'll trust that since it's a Thermador, it will be at the temperature I set it to), a timer... WHAT! I use the timer ALL THE TIME, (no pun intended). What do you mean it has no timer? For real? Ugh. Back to square one. And no, I can't see spending thousands on a new range and then having to use a $3 egg timer off to the side. Now, I have read a lot of posts and reviews, and I understand people talking about how the electronic "bells and whistles" aren't necessary and they just mean more things to break down, etc. But I beg to differ. Why can my decade-old Maytag seem to get it right? Am I asking too much? Is there a pro-style gas range out there for me? Has anyone else pondered these issues when going from a traditional range to a pro-style range? Please give me your opinions. Thank you!

Comments (22)