SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hackwriter

Attention kibitzers! Need advice on bathroom update

hackwriter
12 years ago

The 5 x 8 downstairs bathroom in my 1950's cape cod is original to the house. It has black 4" tile throughout, with mint green bullnose tile on top.

I had planned to have this bathroom gutted and redone, but my DH lost his job in January, so all remodeling plans have been scaled back.

The tub is old, with one area on which the finish has been gone for years. The previous owners "patched" it by putting a Rubbermaid daisy over it. I tried to patch it with Porc-a-fix, which held for about a year, but then it cracked and now it is just rusty. I hate the tub because it has a curved bottom, is very slippery, and has a high wall. But as soon as you start talking about busting it up and replacing it with a pan shower (which is what I want to do), the $$ add up, as we don't have the wherewithall to do the backbreaking work of busting up a tub. Then there's the question of matching the tile, which is difficult because the newer tiles are not quite the same size. I had to have the faucets replaced, and the tile guy spent hours building up the mastic and filing down the tiles to make them blend seamlessly.

I'm not crazy about black tile in a tiny bathroom, but the room also has plaster walls, and the idea of busting up plaster to replace it with sheetrock is horrifying. So we will work with what we have.

Essentially all I want to do is:

a) put in a new vanity or pedestal sink

b) Replace the medicine cabinet with a new one or a mirror

c) Cut into the plaster to create a built-in cabinet to hold toiletries

d) put in a new floor

e) bring someone in to install a new fan AND VENT IT TO THE OUTSIDE (something the current fan doesn't!). I'd hire a pro to do that.

The toilet is white, so I'm thinking the vanity or pedestal sink should be too. My main concern about a pedestal sink is storage.

As for the floor, I would like to do hex tile (as in this thread). One idea I had was to try to get mint green hex tiles to replace the black ones, or I could leave it as is. Perhaps a white floor would make the room look not so closed-in.

As for paint color, I was thinking a very light celery green. Right now the walls are white, but they look terribly drab.

My taste in vintage runs more towards Craftsman than 50's.

So all you amateur decorators out there, I'd love to hear your ideas! Can post photo links if necessary.

Comments (7)