SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nehome

Bathroom "Update" - which sub does what? GC needed?

nehome
3 years ago

We are renovating a small bathroom that involves replacing all existing materials but keeping everything in the same place.

The existing one piece acrylic tub/surround will be replaced with new tub and tiled walls to the ceiling. There appears to be a leak that has turned the wallboard to mush. The house was built in 1995 and I don't believe the wallboard above the surround is waterproof material. It is currently painted, not tiled.

I know I need a plumber and a tiler and planned to use a family member handyman to install the vanity. I've contacted one tiler who said he will demo everything and will level the floor before tiling. Counter to be installed by fabricator. Maybe an electrician to replace the bathroom fan and lighting or possibly that could be DIY? To minimize electrical cost I'll select lighting that can be remounted at the same connection as the existing. What type of work would require the electrical to be upgraded to current codes? I am willing to make things work to avoid this expense.

Any other sub?

Who actually prepares the tub/shower space with waterproof materials to accept the new tub and tiling? Will any of this work overlap between subs such that one could blame the other for things not working out? Is there any "construction" that is required that the tiler or the plumber wouldn't do?

Does any of the plumbing need to be accessed from the wall behind the shower such that I need a different sub to repair?

Bottom line, do I need a general contractor? I have no general knowledge that puts me in a position to be our own GC. On the surface, however, it seems the job responsibilities are fairly independent of each other with little coordination required. I do recognize there is coordination with the plumber coming in and out of the project to turn off water for demo, install tub and tub/shower fixtures and finally connect sinks.

Any opinion or advice is appreciated!

Comments (4)