SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mawrter_gw

lack of 'simmer' burner on Onofri & gen. questions abt simmer

mawrter
14 years ago

Hi... still trying to get enough information to make a smart long-term decision on the new stove I need. After months of drooling and obsessing online and searching the local Craigslist ads, we hit the new appliance store yesterday to ... well, drool in person. :-) It was quite thrilling.

We fell "in like" with the Fratelli Onofri (either Chiantishire or Royal Chiantishire); all the F.O. models are 36" but seem to offer enough benefits that it's worth modifying the space to accommodate it.

Then I put it together that they lack a simmer burner. :( I simmer a LOT.

But then, I've never bought a stove before. I haven't had a gas stove in years and I'm trying to figure out how much of a big deal this really is. Does this mean I absolutely CAN NOT set it and forget it for long-simmering broths and stews? That I'd be doomed to scorch everything? Can you make up for it by sticking those items in the oven instead? Or what about a flame tamer - has anyone tried that? Or is it just pain silly to shell out all that money for a stove that lacks such an essential feature? Could a burner be adjusted by a tech to have a lower setting, or would the manufacturer's specs override anything a local service person could do?

Or are the people who gave it bad reviews for the lack of an official SIMMER! FEATURE! just whiny yuppies who really can't cook and should just concentrate on watching food TV and buying celebrity chef frozen dinners?

What do you think?

What has your experience been?

Do you recommend another comparable stove?

Opinions?

Horror stories?

Success stories?

Strokes of brilliance?

THANKS! :-D

Comments (6)