SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_418719849

I've gone too deep down the Kitchen Appliance rabbit hole...Help!

NT_guy
4 years ago

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks for everything! I have been lurking on the forums for a few months now and have found the information here to be incredibly helpful. It is definitely the most active appliance forum I have found so far.

It is so strange to me how hard it is to find honest, non-sponsored reviews of these incredibly expensive products. Where is the Doug Demuro of the appliance world?!

Now to my specific situation:

I feel like I have almost done too much research and just keep flipping back and forth between products at this point.

My wife and I just purchased a home in the Toronto area and are doing some extensive renos on it. My wife is an interior designer and I am also in the design world - we appreciate form as well as function although, ultimately, I feel most concerned with reliability and quality.

We want our kitchen appliances to be panel ready.

Our initial kitchen appliance list looked like this:

Sub Zero 36" Column Refrigerator

Sub Zero 30" Freezer Drawers

Wolf 36" Contemporary Cooktop

Wolf Double M Ovens, Contemporary style.

Asko 40 Series Dishwasher.

I found it very hard to leave the Sub/Wolf ecosystem as they were offering 20% off all alliances after a regular priced refrigerator and to switch to a Miele or Gaggenau oven seemed very expensive comparatively. (Keep in mind in Canada the Wolf, Miele and Gaggenau ovens are all within 10% of the cost of one another)

After reading A LOT of reviews here I got too scared about the Wolf enamel chipping issue and started to want a Combi-Steam oven real bad (I feel like its everyone's go to oven here).

Then, Sub Zero came out with their new promotion, which was just a flat 15% off all their appliances. This unlocked me from their ecosystem a little and I started playing around with alternate configurations.

From the beginning, we loved how the Gaggenau appliances look. They also have a good reputation. I know there are a couple horror stories on here, but to be fair, I don't think any appliance company is 100% bullet proof.

My new package:

Sub Zero 36" Tall Refrigerator/Freezer Combo

Wolf 36" Contemporary Cooktop

30" Gaggenau Combi Oven

30" Gaggenau Convection Oven

Asko 40 Series Dishwasher or maybe Bosch 800 Series.

This package is slightly more $$ than the first but we really like the Gaggenau stuff.

Then when researching the Gaggenau's I kept hearing about the Miele's and went even further down the rabbit hole.

The Miele XXL Combo when compared to the Gaggenau has:

a bigger 2.5L vs 1.7L interior.

Currently a 10 year warranty vs Gaggenau's 2.

An extra baking heating element on the bottom.

Exposed Broiler grill on the top (that sounds hard to clean), compared to Gaggenau's glass-ceramic covered broiler.

Maybe a better steam injection system?

No self cleaning; vs self cleaning Gaggenau.

Then the regular Miele Convection Ovens vs Gaggenau:

Miele has a wireless probe and includes a telescoping rack. Gaggenau has an included powered rotisserie and a wired probe.

Miele has had a couple reports of chipping; Gaggenau has none that I could find.

So...I think I have it narrowed down to Miele or Gaggenau; would love to hear your experiences and your opinions please!

Side notes:

Would also love to hear from someone if they have strong opinions on Miele vs Sub Zero refrigeration as they are essentially the same cost;

Miele has stainless interior; better lighting; push to-open

Sub has a way better air filter and a larger capacity.

There is also a new, old stock Gaggenau Combi Steam from 2013 that I could get for $2,500 with a factory 2 year warranty. Was trying to fit this in as a bonus somewhere maybe (don't want to put it stacked with the other Gagg ovens because the control panel is different looking)

Thanks so much everyone!!!

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!