SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muscat_gw

first bathroom remodel questions

muscat
16 years ago

I'm just finishing up a kitchen remodel, and I think in the next 6 months, it'll be time to do the bathroom. I feel a bit overwhelmed by starting from scratch again with all the research and planning, but have to start somewhere!

This is a pretty small house, with two bathrooms. The other small bath has only a shower stall, and the main bath (to be remodeled) has a tub/shower combo. It is not tiled, but rather has some sort of one-piece acrylic or plastic liner, and the tub (I think) is cast iron. I think the layout of the room is going to have to stay the same, but I'd like to find some sort of shower/tub combo that is a little more roomy for two people showering at once, as about 50% of our use is shared. The tub space is about 59" by 29".

I dont know whether to go with another tub and tile, or a tub and solid walls (to avoid grout) or one of those one-piece things. My minimal research leads me to think that the one piece units are low end, and not very sturdy, but I like the idea of no seams, no caulk, no grout. Opinions?

Also, with limited space, are there units that could fit in this 59"x29" alcove, but that curve out on one side for more room? Or maybe a shower stall without a tub would give more standing room, but then the house would have no bath tub......but are there even shower units without baths made that shape?

I know I sound clueless, but I appreciate any ideas or links or whatever you may have.

Comments (7)