SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plan2remodel

Hire designer first, or GC first, for small bathroom remodel?

plan2remodel
3 years ago

I have one bathroom remaining to renovate and want to avoid mistakes I made in hiring previously. I have already renovated my kitchen and two of my three bathrooms. With the kitchen, I hired a designer first, who then turned over construction to a "handyman" (whom I mistakenly assumed was licensed and working for the design company). With the bathrooms, I met first with a licensed GC who turned it into a design-build contract and multiplied the scope (and cost) ten-fold.

I would like to have a design for the remaining bathroom to present to GCs for multiple bids. I called several architects who said the project is too small for them; they recommended that I hire either a GC or designer. I spoke to one designer who said that I would need to hire a GC to work with her on the design. I am not moving any walls, but plan to enlarge one small window. I am considering changing the existing footprint, as the plumbing is in bad condition and all pipes will be replaced.

Is it possible that I can find a designer who would be willing to develop a preliminary plan for me to show to prospective GC's? This is sort of how things went with the kitchen designer, except that there was only one bid for construction.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County