SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

Bill, Mongo More ?'s Pls This time about Slate.

User
15 years ago

Oh boy, so here I am again, still trying to finalize our tile purchase. We've chosen Slate Quartzite for the shower walls & Copper Rust mosiac for the niche, the shower and bathroom floors. A couple of weeks ago, I was researching the tile when I came across an article that talked about gauged, ungauged and uncalibrated Slate which said ungauged slate can be very difficult to install. After reading the article, I called the tile store to see if the tiles we're interested in are gauged and was told no that none of the slate in the store is gauged.

However, yesterday I had to stop by the store, and while talking to the salesman I made a comment about the tiles not being gauged and the salesman I was talking to asked if I knew what it meant. After I told him what I read in the article, he said no, all it meant was if it has grooves on the back side of the tile and "of course" their slate was gauged, implying I didn't have a clue about what it meant. So ok, one article doesn't make me a know it all, obviously I don't know what it means, but I know 2 guys who do! Ha! Ha!

So using a 4x4 tile size from the store as an example, both types are flat on one side (looks like a straight blade cut) the other side, has clefts and is uneven. They come in boxes of 50, and no two tiles are the same thickness, especially with the quartzite, best guess they range from 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, untumbled.

Can you tell me what exactly what gauged/ungauged and uncalibrated slate means? And if from the way I described the tile, if this tile is gauged or not?

Also, when I raised concerns about the difficulty of the install, the salesman said that all the tile setter has to do is "butter" the thinner tiles to the thickness needed for them to lay even and it's not hard at all. Is this true?

Thanks!

Comments (12)