SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teddychicago

Tile around a Kohler Tea for Two tub?

teddychicago
15 years ago

Hello, everyone,

I appreciate everyone's advice on this forum. It has been invaluable as I work through a home remodel/addition. Well, as the contractor works through the remodel/addition!!

Right now I am concerned about the bathtub in the hall bath. The model we chose, the 60" Kohler Tea for Two, apparently has a slight lip that curls downward all around the tub. My contractor is "making me aware" of this and assures me that they will install it into its 3 walled alcove, which is also about 60", with special attention to the edges to make it watertight. Otherwise, water could pool in the dipped edge between the wall and the tub. I fear that eventually the water could seep behind and drip down under the tub.

Is this where I should ask for a waterproof membrane, like Kerdi, all around the alcove? Should this membrane go down to the floor and under the tub? I have been reading many posts on this product and it seems like mine would be a good application for it. I want to make sure that everything stays nice and watertight!

Also, do the tiles help keep the edges watertight? The dipped area is slight so even if you put a tile up against the edge, the tile would probably cover the dip. And would you just caulk the seam where the tile and tub meet? Would that be enough to keep the area behind and under the tub dry? Would a Kerdi membrane not be necessary?

The bathroom previously had a floor with cracked grout and loose tiles so I am concerned that grout or caulk at this tub edge would eventually degrade and water would seep in. Don't know if this is realistic but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thank you for any help!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH