SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelct

Gas Range: GE Cafe or Electrolux ICON

michaelct
14 years ago

Need a new 30" range for very small (8' long x 7' wide!) kitchen. No window, so outdoor venting and true pro range are not possible. Would like a good pro-style range (I can have slide in, though my two choices are actually considered free standing but will fit) with over the range microwave and 300 cfm recirculating fan (some say they're useless, but it's the best I can do) and have narrowed search to GE Cafe (CGS980SEMSS) and Electrolux ICON Professional(E30GF74HPS) (if I've already made a mistake at that please advise!).

Love the way the Electrolux looks, love the ball bearing racks (and blue interior, but wouldn't purchase for that), like that it has few electronics to break (but the downside of that is that the oven just has an old fashioned/less accurate dial for setting the temperature), might miss the second oven, but [very expensive] over the range microwave (only 950 watts) has a convection oven. Seems like glass cooktop surface might be easier to clean. I know there was a recall last year for carbon monoxide problems, but assume that's been corrected.

GE is good (but maybe not as good) looking, has two ovens (some say the second isn't much use) and a griddle (also criticized by some for being underpowered), self cleaning racks, larger oven than Electrolux, digital oven controls (I know, repairs) so I'll hear a beep when oven reaches temp (plus other conveniences that come with that) and more powerful (1100 watts), larger (2.0 cu ft) OTR microwave. Really concerned about things I've read regarding issues with microwave handle getting burning hot and control power blanking out or breaking altogether from stove heat (though not sure why all OTR microwaves wouldn't have this problem). Stainless top prone to scratching.

I haven't been able to find too much on this forum, or elsewhere, especially recently posted, from people who own and like (or hate) either of these ranges. Does anyone own one and have any advice to share? Thanks so much.

Comment (1)