SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Tablesetting Challenge For You All . . . Ideas, Please!

lynninnewmexico
15 years ago

Although most normal people bring home shells, sea sponges and Greek souvenirs when they visit Florida's Greek Sponge Docks, north of Tampa, I fell madly in love with this gorgeous 99 year old Chinese statue. It was like he belonged to me from the minute I laid eyes on him! Thank goodness I have an understanding DH. I could kick myself for not getting more info on him from the owner of this very nice Chinese art gallery, but he and my DH got into this looooong discussion about the Chinese Scholar Stones they had for sale there (for thousands of dollars . . . I couldn't see it!). I got bored and wandered into the next shop and forgot to ask.

Anyhoo, being very new to tablescaping, but an enthusiastic student, I was hoping you all could give me some ideas on how to use him in an Asian tablescape.

I do have to tell you, though, that I don't want to buy any Chinese plates or vases, as most of them are much too frantically busy for my tastes. I like the simplicity of the Japanese decor much more. Actually, from the bare amount of info I've been able to dig up on him so far, both the Chinese and Japanese have legends about a boy riding on a carp. Soooooo, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Below is, first, a pic of my sweet statue and then following that are pics of some Asian pieces I already own.

Thanks! Lynn

My statue is approx. 13"l x 10"H x 10" wide and my mahogany table is 9 1/2 feet long.

{{gwi:1419820}}

Plates I own already:

{{gwi:1404005}}

{{gwi:1404006}}

Japanes dolls of mine from the Thirties (?):

{{gwi:1404008}}

{{gwi:1404009}}

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions