SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycbluedevil

how wet will the floor get without a door

13 years ago

I have posted before about my long and very narrow (5' x 14') hall bath renovation which involves installing a Greek tub to be used as a tub/shower combo. I don't know how to post a diagram so I will try to explain.

The bathtub is 32" wide and 48" long and is very deep (23-3/8"). Because of a couple of structural columns in the room, this will effectively be a three alcove installation where the open side is one of the short sides of the tub rather than one of the long sides. I know it is quirky but it is the only way I can put the tub in the back of the room which is important to my design.

The third wall of the alcove (on the right, if you are drawing it) will not enclose the entire length of the tub but rather only 33" of it. So that space will be open and the front will be open as well. This is just like a corner shower/tub installation where a shower screen is used instead of a full enclosure.

The plumbing will be on the partially enclosed wall. I plan to use a rain head to minimize splashing but there will also need to be a handheld on a bar. I will try to install those as far to the back of the space as I can. I also plan to put a small deck on the front so that a user can sit and swing his legs over to get into the tub more easily.

I really want to avoid using a shower enclosure. My kids will be off to college in another year or so and I really want that bath to be a soaking tub that feels open. I am trying to figure out just how wet the floor will get without any glass. I am willing to have the floor get wet but I don't want a flood.

I am thinking the the depth of the tub will be helpful and that the greater height will catch more water. I am also thinking that the side that is only partially enclosed by the wall is pretty much the same length as a shower screen for a tub/shower combo. In other words, it is as if the space were in a corner with a shower screen. Thus, my thought is that the real water spray problem is at the front end.

I thought about putting a movable shower screen on the front end to catch the water but I would really like to avoid it if I can. It would be big (32" wide) and perhaps unwieldy. Also, I would want to leave it in the open position along the left wall to preserve the cross-ventilation we get from the window in the room.

So, if you have been able to follow me, the questions are:

(1) does anyone think I can get away without glass and just use two bath mats on the open ends of the tub or is the 48" length hopeless on that front even with the deep tub?

(2) if glass is really necessary on the front end, can I do a 32" screen or is there such a thing as a bi-fold screen?

(3) should I just give up and do a shower curtain (hate the idea)?

(4) is there another solution or another problem I am not considering?

Thanks in advance and sorry for not being able to post a diagram.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz