SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chilanlieu

how to raise floor without losing sliding glass door

Laura Lee
2 years ago

We have a 1978 home that we are renovating. Redoing floors and the living room is one step down from dining room and kitchen. I plan to remove the pony wall that separates the dining from living room, but that step…I don’t want guests to fall, nor is to when we aren’t paying attention. However at the far corner I have this glorious bank of windows and a large almost 8’ wide sliding glass door.

How can I reframe the floor yet keep the door? My contractor recommends turning the sliding glass door into a window. I read there are shorter doors than the standard 80” tall. But I have no idea. Should I just make a small step down that surrounds the slider?

Also, we are considering putting in LV tea and a lighter wood, and as you can see from the beams and all of the molding it is a darker walnut color. Would it be to jarring to have lighter floors?

In the corner currently is old framing for a seat that we are taking down. We just removed the brick and are redoing fireplace in smooth stucco straight down. Any advice and insight is very much appreciated. Thank you so much!

Comments (11)