SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liptonjl

Post here if building is stressing you out!!!

liptonjl
16 years ago

We are completely stressed. I was warned that building is stressful, but we are both reall organized, knew what we wanted, etc.

We started in October and partially due to weather and partially due to the subs not lining up properly, we just have a roof and windows, no siding, no house wrap, etc.

To top it off, we are getting 6 inches of snow right now and that just pushes us farther back!

So... I want to know I'm not alone... Vent your problems here!

Comments (22)

• jenanla
    16 years ago

Count me in.

It's been officially over 1 year since DH started to clear our lot.

The well went in in August, foundation in September, framing Nov./Dec., roofing and fireplaces in December. Rough HVAC and rough plumbing in January.

I met with the electrician, but not much has started because we don't have the house wrapped yet (of course weather is not helping).

To top things off we ended up with 5" of water in the entire basement last week. DH never capped off the hole that was put in the foundation for the future septic sytem. Of course we haven't had any water in there since the day the foundation was poured in September, oh no, bad timing decides to happen on the day that the HVAC guys planned on finishing (in the basement of course).

I'm sure we'll all look back and laugh.

• kdnyc
    16 years ago

Raising my hand. Building has been a nightmare. I will personally never do this again. DH will have to take the lead if we build again. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

We have been building since 2004. After two law suits (soon to be 3 lawsuits) and now with builder # 3 we finally have walls, doors and wall texture.

Builder # 1 settled and pays us monthly for those screw ups, builder # 2 is in the process of going through the state's formal complaint procedure and could lose his license. He stole money and did not do the work so the bank is after him too since we sued the bank and they had to return funds to us w/o getting it back from builder # 2 first.

Builder # 3 seems to be on track to actually finish by March 1 (although the original finish date was 12/8/07). He ran into framing issues (builder # 1 screw ups) and that took required an engineer who was a pain in the rear to deal with as well. Even the town code compliance officers got involved since the engineer promised them items and would not deliver for 2 weeks at a time. Bulder # 3 did not pick this engineer. He decided to keep using the same engineer since he knew the plans and had worked on it for months with builder # 2.

It just shows that no matter how much investigation you do on a builder in advance, it still could turn out for the worst. Builder # 1 ended up taking on too many houses at once & he ran out of money to keep our house going but lied to us instead of just letting us know so we could make other financing plans. Builder # 2 had a great reputation in the community and had never been involved in anything like our situation prior to this (allegedly at least). He ended up getting more money for a draw (bank mistake) but didn't mention it until we called him on it. When we asked that the money be returned (and the bank demanded it back too) he refused and kept the money.

Just make sure to check on your project as much as possible - at least weekly - to make sure the work is actually progressing. We visit on weekends, and sometimes at night, just to make sure the work is getting done.

I have to add, I would never become a GC. Coordinating all these people and getting them to actually show up is not as easy as I thought.

For some reason lots of subs and maybe their workers, do not have the best work ethic. I have been on the phone for weeks (as well as e-mailing) with the landscapers. To date we have received 2 apologies (one by e-mail 2 weeks ago & one by phone today) because the workers/designers are so unresponsive. We need to get the final plan submitted & add more foundation plants (required for the subdivision) but nobody is responding to our questions about additional expense or revising the plan to submit. It's like pulling teeth to get a response - and it's not like we are asking for a freebie. We have a contract & they have been paid 50%.

Did I mention that I HATE this process and will NEVER...

• Related Discussions

If I have a mower for sale, can I post it out here?

Q

Comments (1)
    If you look at the rules, you'll see that's prohibited.
    ...See More

Stressing about drainage, building bed, etc.

Q

Comments (30)
    Not to sound like an a-hole, but rather to illustrate the practical implications of what I wrote above, this from another thread: In spite of placing the bed on top of good gardening dirt, plants would often only root in the looser soil of the raised bed and not go any deeper. There is a reason for this. It is well known, among many groups of gardeners and farmers (that I pulled out above). What didn't get discussed in-depth upthread due to prolixity avoidance is what I hinted at with the tree planting hole point. I recommend reading the entire comment. Dan
    ...See More

Stressing Myself Out

Q

Comments (5)
    I first saw one here. It belonged to a girl that sales them. I compared pricing and delivery and she was a little less expensive plus no tax. Her name is Darlene and here is her email address: dfarmer4@hotmail.com I have he 17" Crystal Reflections in an undermount. Everyone loves it! I can't believe the men that have walked into the bathroom and commented on the cool sink :) The have a copper colored one. Didn't you mention copper? Be sure and watch the videos. I think I paid about $320 for the sink to be delivered to my home. One bonus is being able to see whats in the cabinet below (due to the filtering light thru the sink). Here is mine... Here is a link that might be useful: Master Bath Remodel
    ...See More

Thoughts on Taking the Stress Out of Kitchen Renovation

Q

Comments (7)
    I probably should add one final thought. If you have any doubts about your design or your stylistic choices you haven't planned enough. It is cheap to plan on paper so do it again! Changing your mind after a contractor has been retained and started work is deadly to both the budget and the timeframe. Deferring small decisions till during the construction process leads to fatigue and stress (not to mention errors both small and colossal).
    ...See More
  • oruboris
    16 years ago

It was literally killing me for a while there. Couldn't sleep, was worried and angry all the time.

Then I made an active decision to maintain perspective no matter what. I'm in a good place financially, and my home will suit me very, very well even if some details [maybe a whoooole lot of details] aren't quite perfect.

Because nothing in this world stays perfect for very long. If it's all perfect on move in morning, it won't be by lunch. A floor will get scratched, a wall scrapped. Over the years, lots of things will get damaged, and you'll find dozens of things you overlooked or just plain got wrong. Virtually all of it is fixable, some will be worth the cost, some won't, and some of the 'flaws' may become your favorite features over time.

• dixiedoodle
    16 years ago

liptonjl- building has completely changed our lives for the past 2 years. We've dealt with issues and decisions every single day, and we definitely went into the experience knowing our likes/dislikes. The experience can be as stressful as you allow it to become! We constantly do reality checks to maintain focus (we are healthy, wonderful families, more house than we'll ever need, good careers, financially secure), and yet one poorly executed detail at the house (and that doesn't even get into the really vital issues that we are still dealing with on a daily basis!) can send us spiraling into anger and frustration.

I just keep giving friends/family my oft-repeated mantra...it will be worth it at the end!

BTW...I could have foretold some stressful times for you. You said above that you knew what you wanted, but you had posted numerous times on this forum asking for advice on how to design the exterior of your home...even after construction had begun(stone, no stone, where to put stone, etc). Those postings did not seem to come from someone who really knew what they wanted...it seems as if you were still making important decisions well into the building process. Nothing wrong with that...but it will definitely up the stress level!

• teach2007
    16 years ago

Right now, I cannot imagine my life getting back to normal. I long for the times when all the decisions I had to make were what to cook (or pick up...LOL) for supper!! February 22nd will be 6 months since we started our house. I guess compared to some that is not very long, but to me it seems soooooo much longer. I keep thinking, By this time next year, this will just be OUR HOUSE. We will be going on with our daily lives. I don't know how many times I've heard my children say, "Why didn't we just BUY a house already built." What they don't understand is this... now we have a 2600 square foot house. If we had bought a house for the price we have spent on this one, it would be around 1800 square feet. When I think about it like that, it is all worth it!!

• sniffdog
    16 years ago

lip

it will probably get worse as time goes on - it's just the nature of the beast. The build will get more complex are you move into the rough in and then trim stages when there are even more subs who have to work synchronously to finish their work.

The good news is that it will end - maybe 6, 9, 12 months from now. But you will finish it and then things will get back to normal.

It took us 16 months (was supposed to be 9 months max said our builder) - a lot of agony - and we had a good builder. It's done now and we love the house. It's a gigantic task - you just have to suck it up and press on.

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

It's all about "variables". Part of variables are delays due to weather, sub scheduling conflicts, material delays, etc. Budgets are a big part of variables. It hurts when a situation blows the budget when it's unexpected, but im willing to bet that 90% of builds go over budget in some shape or form and maybe 90% is being conservative. You deal with it and how you deal with determines the attitude you will have towards building dependent on outcome. The outcome will happen and the build will get done but there are so many factors, hindsight/foresight, the unknown that make it a challenge whether you are o/b'ing, g.c'ing, or having your home built. If you are the type to accept negatives as a challenge and attack the problems as best you can, it can help rather than losing sleep over situations that will have to be dealt with at some point of the build. One day at a time seems to help us out though sometimes "variables" kick one day at a times butt!

• liptonjl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jenanla - seems like we are on the same page as far as a timeline. We also met with the electricians and they were supposed to work yesterday - but we got snow, ice, etc... so no work yesterday.. And today the weather was awful this morning, so prob. nothing today. Also waiting for the house to be wrapped and sided! There were so many good weather days that went by and nothing was done!

dixiedoodle - you are right - i thought I knew and then couldnt decide. We ended up going with our original plan, lol...

I also repeat "it will all be worth it inthe end" but I can just see the stress on DH's face and I feel bad and can't wait to get "IN"

I also think I will probably never build again. We talk to friends who built with 'production builders' and they had no stress. Pick 1, 2, or 3. But I think we'll be much happier with the custom product! Let's just GET THERE!

• jenanla
    16 years ago

Every time someone asks DH when we'll be done he says some time in 2008. I myself am hoping for sooner rather than later.

I keep saying that I'll never do this again, a couple of months ago DH agreed, now his response is "Never say never!!"

• vfish
    16 years ago

Aghhhhhhh! Stress is an understatement. I go to work just to relax. I hate waking up in the mornings, knowing I have to face a thousand decisions, all of which will cost money. I am used to managing over 250 people, with large operating equipment, but nothing could have prepared me for the unprofessionalism, lack of work ethic, downright lies and in your face deception as I have faced with this build.
    Constantly the GC is pitting me against my DH and vice versa. Constantly, my DH and I are at ends about the things this GC brings up on a daily basis..."oh, well, it cost more because your DH wanted this and he wanted that, and he added on to that, etc" it's endless.
    whew! Thanks for letting me rant....
    We are "knock on wood", less than 20 days out to completion, it has been 15 months, twice our budget and all of our strength to keep it going!
    Was/is it worth it? I'll let you know in a few months.....
    V

• byrdlady
    16 years ago

The month of December was the worst for me......... all the "stuff" had to be picked out, lighting, tile, appliances. Then trying to wedge Christmas, cards and shopping into that and we listed our house Dec. 18th. AM I NUTS! Oh, and my son got married last month so we had ALL the wedding plans!

Now Christmas is overwith, the wedding is done, and I just have to worry about house stuff!!! Have had NO lookers at this house in 2 months and that is the biggest worry (selling my old house) right now!

• ellied
    16 years ago

Count me in. We had the framing and outside finishing done in September. From that point we are doing what we can ourselves. We have cabinets in the garage, flooring in the basement and last eve we ordered all the interior doors. We have some lights, faucets and other odds and ends, too. Lately we are trying to get the drywall up.
    We will have that taped and finished by a professional.
    Every day I wonder why we ever started this. The home we live in now is paid off. We used to take 2 or 3 vacations a year, now we have to hold off for awhile and then there is the chore of trying to sell this house.
    It will help me alot when the weather starts to warm up.
    Right now without heat in the new house (oh yea, the furnace will be in soon)I just hate to go there to work.

• peppermill
    16 years ago

What's strange to me is that building starts are down, so all these subs and workers should be grateful for the work! And yet they still have no work ethic and you can never get in touch with them. I don't understand it.

• mikeyvon
    16 years ago

I have had a few days of stress, mainly do to the weather and no roof (those days are over!). My wife gets on me when i stress and she has ways to make me smile. Other than that, I feel it has not been bad at all. I am enjoying the process and cannot believe i will actually own a home and be the one who built it.

I have a awesome wife and wonderful son. Another little one will be here in less than 2 months. Life is way too short to stress over just a house. As long as my family is good, I am good. In the end, it is just a house.

One thing that this house has done to me is exhaust me! There are some days I just want to sit on my butt and not even think about the house (and many days I do just that), but I know crap has to be done and I have to do it. It is tough working a day job and building a house. I do highly recommend forgetting about the house for a few days or a week every now and then, it is not going anywhere.

I feel everone needs a way to escape stress, be it exercise, sex, sitting on your butt, hunting, drinks, or drugs. I try to partake in all those. Then again my nickname has been "smiley" for years and I am the forever optimist.

Keep your heads up! In the end it will all be worth it.

ps. all the subs here are hungry and fight and kiss butt for jobs. I have had no problems at all with subs and them wanting to work or showing up (weekends, rain, and snow). They know they are easily replaced.

• liptonjl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

peppermill - that's what my DH says - with how bad the housing market is right now you would think things would be moving quicker!

I REALLY hope it is all worth it in the end. SOme days I feel like all DH and I talk about is the house. We love the planning, but now we are just anxious to be finished.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Well, we've been at it for 4 years and it really hasn't been too stressful, just a lot of hard work. Now as finishing time draws near, we are feeling stressed because we want to be in by end of this year. Before we were just kind of taking our time and not thinking about a move in date so there was no rush. Now there is and the stress level is up. Chosing the interior paint colors has been very stressful for me. Like Oruboris, I wanted everything perfect and I need to lighten up and realize it will be beautiful and who the heck is going to measure how perfect it is, no one!!

• ponydoc
    16 years ago

Mikeyvon- your post made me smile!

I probably have as much stress as I have had throughout our build..... mostly because it's our last push to get it in and all the little things need done. I feel like I am getting nickeled and dimed to death at this point. Things like shower curtains and rugs etc. I love picking all the stuff myself but not with a time limit.

Other than that- well it's gone really well. I am patient. We have been at it since May 2. We waited over a year to get the builder we wanted. We are very close to budget. Our house is one of kind, lovely and astounds us every day with the way it has come together.

My MIL is moving in with us and she moves next Saturday. We will probably follow in about 10 days.

I cannot say enough what living on site has done for our build. I know it's a unique situation but it really makes a difference.

When we are done I will take some pics of our old house and compare with the new. Whenever I feel the need to sweat the small stuff I just remember what we are living in now. LOL

And as a few have mentioned....... although it's our dreamhouse and our home for many years to come hopefully, it's still just a house. We are blessed to have a healthy happy family to put in it along with a few nice dogs!

PD

• us2harley
    16 years ago

I can relate to you, we also started in the fall. We started the first week of November and have windows, doors and 1/4 siding done. They only worked on the house 4 days out of the last month mainly due to the weather, also contractor and subs getting the flu. We live in Michigan and it seems that the weather is taking the toll on our patience. Everyone keeps telling us don't worry they build houses all the time in the winter and it will be ok......Hmmmm!!! Now we are getting more nervous that it will start thawing and then the rain will bring mud and still no siding! The projected move in date was approximately April, I have a feeling it could be June. We are starting to stress since they have taken out a couple more draws and we are making double payments on the construction loan and rent, with very little progress being seen......UGH!!! I know they say this too will pass!!! Good Luck to you!!

• susanka
    16 years ago

Hey, we finished six months ago, and we're re-stressed, fixing all the mistakes in design we probably wouldn't have made if we'd hired an architect. Love our house, but we didn't foresee some of our needs even though we thought we knew what we were doing.

Good luck to all of you! Seems like these houses all get finished, we all move in, and love our homes to some degree or other, so I wish you all the best.

• fairytalebaby
    16 years ago

I didn't want to start a thread just to post this comment, but I thought it may give some of you a chuckle. Our builder has questioned every single color/material choice I've made on the house (Roof, siding, brick...even the bathtubs). The latest is a biggie. I turned in my paint colors and he went to purchase ALL the interior paint (woo-hoo!)...anyway, I got a phone call that said he was very worried about the Laundry Room paint choice...and then he named the paint in case I didn't remember what I'd chosen for that room. He said, "About this SW Lemon Chiffon..." and I had to shake my head because he said 'chiffon' like the word CHICKEN. Lemon Chiffen???

I reassured him that the Lemon ChiFFON would look fine...and if I ended up not liking it, I'd paint it after we moved in.

• ehoops
    16 years ago

Someone who I hadn't seen in a while asked how our house was coming. Big mistake.... When I finished she said I should write a book. I'm sure there are many potential books out there. Here would be the outline of ours.

*Aug 06: move family of 4 w/ 2 dogs and cat into trailer on property. Teardown & rebuild expected to take 9-12 months.
    *Sept 07: House around 40% complete, contractor walks, closes business, thousands of dollars unpaid to subs. Contractor is a neighbor, kids at same school. :) What fun!
    *Sept 07-current: Bank demands seperation agreement with old contractor to get new contractor on board. Can't agree on separation agreement with former Cont. Forced to hire attorney. Attorney writes bank letter. Bank agrees to move forward until final draw at least until final draw. JOKE.
    Three weeks ago: Still attempting to move forward with bank. Bank requires copy of title report. Forced to pay subs with pre-liens (that weren't paid by original cont.) or bank won't move forward. Pay subs. Title sent to bank. Bank refuses to move forward because of liens. What!!!Three weeks later, finally discover liens were a mistake, another person, same name as husband but diff address and SSN.
    In Dec 07, call for rough plumbing/elect inspect. Inspector says, "NO WAY". 12 outstanding Inspection Correction Notices not addressed by former Cont.
    Late Jan 07: $1,600 later all but one item signed off by structural engineer. Engineer refusing to sign off on additional steel in foundation because former contractor covered it with concrete before it was inspected. Former contractor says it's there.
    2 weeks ago: Hammer out portion of foundation to check for steel. Not enough there. Now engineer calculating exterior steel to compensate for steel not in foundation = $$$$$.
    Day to day living....Trailer not designed for long term living. Wet winter, discover mold last week. Clean like crazy with bleach. Tuesday returned from 3 day weekend away to discover son forgot to look for indoor/outdoor cat hiding in closet. Needless to say our trailer will never be or smell the same. Wednesday toilet cloged. Pour "emergency" solution in, finally clear 24 hrs later. Good thing family truly knows how to "camp". :)
    18 months in the "box" as we so endearingly refer to the trailer, and no end in sight.
    The last couple chapters of our book have yet to be written. I can only hope they'll be much much less "exciting" than the first.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

fairytalebaby, I don't think I could put up with your builder. I get ticked when my husband questions my choices, and that is rare. LOL Unlike your builder, he knows better, most of the time. I can't wait to see the Lemon Chiffon. That sounds so beautiful.