SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dougald_gw

Thoughts on Taking the Stress Out of Kitchen Renovation

dougald_gw
11 years ago

The new kitchen has just been completed and is now fully functional - I posted pics in this thread http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0520090931089.html

The construction process which involved a gutting of the old kitchen, removal of load bearing walls and a complete new rebuild went very smoothly with no surprises. It took exactly 2 months to finish which felt like an eternity but seems moderately speedy compared to some situations described on this forum. I want to share what happened and my thoughts on making the renovation go smoothly.

First of all I can say what everyone else says - plan plan plan! And when you think you have covered it all sleep on it and plan some more. I started initially with a written statement of what was desired and when it was clear it might not all fit (surprise surprise) what was the priority on features. This process took a couple of months last summer and then was followed by another couple of months doodling plans. Finally an initial draft (I call it a strawman) was prepared and I brought it here for comment. This thread http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1014051516644.html?17 showed that over the next month, some intensive design effort went in to improving the initial plan until it was no longer recognizable in the new plan. In my opinion, this was much better (because it captured multiple people's ideas) than what a single KD would produce and of course muchhhh cheaper:)

By late fall I had a plan and next came planning detailed cabinetry, buiding permits and structural drawings, and finding a contractor(s).

For cabinetry, I decided to go with a well known and respected local firm and worked with their designer on semi custom cabinets. Yes I measured every item in the existing kitchen and pantry and thought through where and why it was to be stored. The cabinet maker's designer was incredibly helpful in the process of seeing storage possibilities.

Before looking for a contractor, I retained an engineer to advise on structural changes, prepare drawings and pilot me through the permit process. This was the best money ever spent and his advice paid for itself many times over. It was he who came to the method of installing a steel beam in the ceiling to replace the walls we wanted removed and his approach pushed the beam up into the ceiling where it was out of sight. He also spent a few hours with the contractor to ensure they understood exactly what was to be done. The permit process was straightforward with his name on the drawings.

During this time I prepared a written requirement of what needed to be done for the renovation. You don't have to be a genius to understand that there will be demolition and debris removal, electrical and plumbing roughin, HVAC changes, (in my case) structural steel and welding, drywall, painting, tiling, cabinetry, granite countertops, backsplash tiling, appliance installation, finish trim and final plumbing and electrical. In writing the requirement I was clear on what I expected from each trade. In discussing with contractors I found them to be very flexible in what work they would undertake and coordinate and what work I might coordinate. Eventually a particular contractor was chosen and he was contracted to do all but HVAC, painting, cabinetry, appliance installation (gas hookup) which I dealt with and as well it was agreed that I would provide lighting and plumbing fixtures.

The contractor was referenced (it was a father and son team where the father was 75! - the family business goes back 50 odd years) and we had confidence that they could carry out the work and that they had their favourite subtrades that they would coordinate. The price was fair and they worked a fair day's work for their pay.

The only real stress in the renovation was living without a kitchen and in a dusty mess during construction. The cooking was planned during the winter before construction began but no matter how you do it, it is a challenge. The dust, well ... it eventually gets cleaned up!

The only sage advice I can give is the same as has been given to me ... don't rush, plan and replan, consider the eventualities and then enjoy the ride.

Comments (7)