SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

We're DIY'ing A Shower Stall - Looking For Any Help/Tips

amck2
11 years ago

We were going to go with a molded corner shower kit w/ glass doors for the guest bathroom we're installing. But after reading so many negative reviews on virtually all of them, seeing posts here that confirmed the reviews, and going to the stores in our area to see them in person, we've decided to construct our own shower stall and have the local glass company come in to custom fit the glass door.

We've shifted our plan from a corner stall to a rectangular one. We're going for a simple, efficient style.

DH & SIL will be taking time off in April to do this. Both are well-versed in basic construction. DH's fortes are woodworking & masonry (stone & brick), but he's never done a tiled wall. SIL is well-versed with plumbing.

My DD & I are in charge of sourcing the fixtures & main components. Can you point me in the direction of what the best shower base unit would be? What are must-haves for installing, lining and waterproofing? Are there any sites or blog or forum posts that you would recommend?

Regarding tile for the walls - What is a good size to go with? And what type? We basically want a white tile surround that will be easy to clean - no strips of decorative tile, mosaics, etc.

Mostly, we want a shower that will be safe, well-built and absolutely leak-proof.

Any & all help for this intrepid band of shower stall building novices will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)