SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ezstud

Help with how to insulate a new home

EzStud
13 years ago

We have been agonizing over what insulation to use for a while now and it has come down to crunch time. We live in a heat centric area of Ithaca, NY where heat could be used probably from September through May. In our area the building code requirements for insulation are as follows:

Wood Frame Walls: R-21,

Floors over unconditioned space: R-30

Ceilings: R-38 (R-30 permitted in cathedral ceilings up to 500 sq.ft maximum area).

With that in mind here is a little information about our house:

Our HVAC is a geothermal closed loop with radiant floor tubing throughout the house. This will also provide A/C in the summertime for those 3 weeks of humid hot weather we usually receive. The conditioned space we are talking about is roughly 2250 sq.ft. Our house is stick built with 2x6 stud exterior walls. The house will be completely wrapped in Tyvek and we are also using an insulated backed siding from Alside which provides another R-5 of insulation behind the siding. Our attic space is free of venting and HVAC equipment. Our roof has a ridge vent for breathing.

Our contractor got a quote from a spray foam company that includes:

-Spray exterior walls with HeatLok Soy winter blend to an average of R21.

-Spray on top of sheetrock ceiling with Agribalance (open cell) to an average of eight inches.

-Spray basement rim joist to an average of R14 with HeatLok Soy.

- Add an extra $2,800 to use closed cell on ceiling.

We are fine with the closed cell R21 value for the exterior 2 x 6 walls. Our problem is how to properly insulate the roof/ceiling of this home since it appears this bid does NOT meet basic R-38 requirements.

Our builder said the additional cost of $2,800 for the closed cell in the flat sheetrock ceiling seemed high so he recommended we put up a vapor barrier (installed already) and go with the 8 inches of open cell foam.

My wife and I have been reading a lot (too much) information and seem to be on the fence about forgoing the open cell foam on the ceiling and are leaning toward possibly using 16 inches of blown in cellulose up there instead. Our contractor said if we go that route we may want to seal it first with a layer of open cell foam on the ceiling base & attic rim joints to help insulate it better (like a hybrid system).

From reading many forums I have gathered that the following is true about insulation R-value:

Open cell foam = R3.5/inch

Closed cell foam = R6-6.5/inch

Cellulose = R 3.7/inch

QUESTION #1:

Following this R-value chart is where I get confused. As I mentioned the insulation bid we received covered the walls being R-21. But the roof has me scratching my head. Basic math tells me that 8 x 3.5 = R-28. That is far short of the R-38 our local building code calls for. This is why we are leaning towards the 16 inches of cellulose (16 x 3.7 = R-59.2). I have read some confusing stuff on the internet about R-value and sprayed foam. So people say that you can get away with a lower R-value if you used foam over other insulation choices. But to me that just does not sound correct. I was hoping some experts here could chime in.

QUESTION #2:

We also have a dilemma with a small "vaulted area". That side of the house is 1 1/2 story where the rest of the house is 2 stories. This area is comprised of an "attic space (future room)". Since this space is vaulted and directly over a separate 1/3 of the house we have decided to apply baffling to the roof (so it can breathe) and spray foam the entire roof structure to bring the whole space under insulation. We are not sure if how much spray foam to use in this area to achieve the proper insulation. Again the bid we received says only 8 inches of open cell which is R-28. Should I push to have the needed 11 inches of open cell foam used to achieve R38?

QUESTION #3:

One last question: I am also concerned about the weather here and installing the foam now. It has been in the 20’s during the day and dropping down to single digits at night. Will the extreme cold affect the foam?

Sorry if this is long winded but the more I read on this topic the less I understand.

Comments (19)