SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sanctuarygirl

tiny bedrooms: UGH!

sanctuarygirl
13 years ago

Why is it that the secondary/guest bedrooms on almost all the plans I am considering in the 2,400-2,800 sq ft range are all so tiny? Anytime I see a bedroom that is 10 X ANYTHING, my head just wants to explode, lol. Some are 10 X 11, 10 X 12, 11 X 12. Gosh, for anything other than a child, that is so cramped. I guess I see the logic of devoting the square footage to the rooms that will get the most use, such as the master br and the main living/dining/kitchen, but still. Only if I jump up to plans that are approaching the 3,000+ range do the bedrooms get any bigger.

Since I got serious about wanting to know what does X number of square feet mean in terms of how it lives, I have taken to measuring the rooms I am in while visiting other people's homes. (I keep my handy tape measure with me everywhere I go, lol.) We were staying with friends who had a newly built home and I whipped out the tape measure to see how big the guest bedroom we were staying in was. It was 12 X 12, but that was barely adequate to have a walking path around the bed with the standard queen bed/nightstand/dresser. I don't want my guest brs any smaller than that. Something like 11 X 13 or 11 X 14 might work, though. There are a short list of plans that I am seriously crazy about except for the tiny bedrooms, so I guess that's what modifications are for.

Another time when we were guests at someone's home we stayed in their master br, which turned out to be 14 X 17. I do not consider this huge, just a comfortable size. They had a king bed, two nightstands, dresser, armoire, chair and a small table, and it felt right. Not cramped at all, with plenty of room to walk around everything. Ideally, mine would be another couple of square feet bigger, but 14 X 17 is the benchmark I use now when considering master bedrooms.

Comments (25)