SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trilby23

Coping with changes (long and just venting)

trilby23
15 years ago

Hi all,

To make a long story short: Dear Housemate and I bought property about 3 years ago, and we've been waiting on the IRS to release my late father's estate so we could start building without going into debt; while we waited we've been designing the house we wanted to build. Well, the IRS didn't let Dad's estate go to probate till after the market crashed; so I'm going to receive less than half of what we'd originally expected.

Now, we still have enough on hand to build a very nice house (but much smaller and simpler) if we're thrifty and careful. I'm not especially concerned or upset because I always felt that we were planning to build WAY more house than we needed. But DH is absolutely inconsolable. The house he and our architect friend designed was DH's "dream house"; but we met with the architect last week, and he very gently told DH that the house they planned is completely outside of our means now. It's put DH into one of the worst funks I've ever seen -- so much so that he's refusing to (or incapable of) taking any interest or involving himself in any way in Plan B.

Now, it's not like we didn't see this coming. I've been looking at alternate house plans since September. I tried to share my top picks with DH, but he told me I was "giving up". When we met with the architect, I brought in some of my Plan B's, but DH refused to even look at them. The only input he's given me all week is, "All the joy has gone out of this. You have good taste. Whatever you want to do is fine."

So here I am, sitting in a tiny rental house, anxious to start building, and DH (who was supposed to be GC'ing the build himself) refuses to discuss Plan B in any way. He says sneeringly that he's not interested in building "some plain little ranch house" and that he was looking forward to building something "really cool". The architect pointed out that the house can still be made "really cool" with detailing and materials and so on; DH just shrugged. I get that DH is completely devastated because he's lost the opportunity to build his "dream house", but it's been 5 weeks since we got the bad news about the reduction of Dad's estate (and 5 months since I first told DH that I thought we ought to consider a backup plan). How long can this go on? And what do I do while I'm waiting for him to regroup? Do I believe him when he says that he's never going to take any interest in anything but his dream? My gut feeling is that we'll never have a better time to build than right now, when builders are wanting work, and DH says "I just want to get something built. I don't care what it is." Do I go ahead with the architect to adapt the stock plans for what I want? Or wait? We're in our early 50's; how much longer CAN we wait??

I know that nobody can answer these questions for me, but if anyone can offer me any help or advice, or sympathy :-), I'd be very grateful!

------------ Trilby (At the end of her rope in East TN)

Comments (18)