SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

venting my guilt, extremely long

amicus
16 years ago

This time of year is hard for me because it brings memories of my mother's passing, a few days after Christmas 5 years ago. That Fall my mother was mentioning to me how she wished my brother could afford to come up for a visit with his family. We all live in Ontario but my brother was on special assignment in Arizona for 4 years. So DH and I decided that we would bring our mother to Arizona for a Christmas visit so she could spend time with my brother after not seeing him for 3 years.

My mother did take heart medication to regulate atrial fibrillation, but her doctor cleared her for the trip and she seemed to be fine. We all enjoyed the visit with my brother and DH and I planned a little overnight side trip to show our kids the Grand Canyon. We were concerned the altitude might be too much for my mom, so we thought she could just stay at my brother's and enjoy the extra time with him. She agreed to this, but at the last minute decided she wanted to accompany us and wouldn't take no for an answer.

We had a hotel room in Flagstaff Arizona where we were planning to stay overnight, and then head out early the next morning to catch the sun coming across the Canyon. My mom said she would just stay at the hotel room when we took the kids to the Canyon, which was another 2,000 feet higher in altitude. I did not want her even going to Flagstaff which is 4,000 feet higher than where my brother lives, but she insisted she wouldn't be doing any walking around while we were gone, just sitting in the hotel room reading her book. I tried to pursuade her to stay at my brother's, but for some reason she decided she wanted to go with us, even though she sees me about 5 times a year and hadn't seen my brother in 3 years. She kept insisting her doctor wouldn't have ok'd the trip if there was any health risk for her. We finally gave up and set off for the trip to Flagstaff, mother in tow.

Well along the way we stopped at some lookout points to take pictures, and most of the drive to Flagstaff was uneventful. But in the last hour of the drive it began to snow, and my mother got a bit anxious that we'd be driving around in the snow and might not find our hotel before it got dark. We reminded her we drive in snow 5 months of the year and our hotel was on a main road so there'd be no problem finding it even if it got dark.

We arrived at the hotel at dusk and as we began to unpack I noticed my mother take a pill and asked her if it was her heart medication. She told me no, that it was an anti anxiety medication she takes occasionlly and she just wanted to feel relaxed because the fear of not finding our hotel had made her anxious. We began talking about where we wanted to go for dinner and my mother said that she wasn't hungry yet but she was a bit tired and wanted to take a nap. That was not unusual as she normally takes a nap every day and hadn't slept at all yet. She said that if the kids were hungry we should all go out and she'd just order room service after her nap. I said we'd just watch t.v. until she finished her nap and all go out to eat together.

She got into the bed and decided she'd just lie on top of the covers. A few minutes later she felt cold and asked me to help her pull all the covers down. When she was settled she said, "Gee, I can't believe I feel so tired all of a sudden." This sent up a red flag for me and I asked her if her heart felt weird, or if she was having any breathing problems, or pain anywhere or felt nauseous, or light headed, all signs that in women can mean an impending heart attack. She told me no, she just felt really tired and it was probably from the change in schedule for the past few days and not having her regular naps. So I told her to nap as long as she wanted because we had snacks and would go out for dinner when she woke up.

Just as I was thinking I was worrying for nothing, she suddenly said "Hey look, I can't even hold my arm up" and I watched as she tried to raise her arm but it kind of flopped back down. I immediately picked up the phone near the bed to dial 911, while hearing her say in a very trembling voice "Oh no, I should never have come here." She then got a very panicked look on her face and her eyes fluttered shut and she went unconscious before I even completed the call. My DH and I tried desperately to revive her with CPR which we both know, but it wasn't working and I somehow knew it was over. This all happened in front of my kids, pleading with God to help their grandma not die.

When the paramedics finally arrived 20 minutes later, they too were unable to do CPR because her airway had collapsed so badly she couldn't be intubated. At that point they didn't do a tracheotomy because she'd been without oxygen too long and they said she'd be brain dead if revived. My guilt for the fact that my mother died while on vacation with us was bad enough, because she certainly seemed a perfectly healthy 70 year old when she said goodbye to my three siblings in Windsor, where she lived. But my guilt has magnified tenfold because I have never told my siblings the truth...that her last words were a tearful "I should never have come here." I left that part out because I wanted them to think that she just died peacefully while settling in for a nap, and couldn't bear for them to know that her last words were fearful and she probably instinctively knew she was dying. I so much wish she HAD just fallen asleep and died peacefully oblivious, rather than suddenly realizing that something was very wrong and dying with a fearful expression in her voice. Many times since then my siblings have asked me to describe my memories with them, because they all admit they're kind of envious that I was the only one to share the last day of our mother's life with her. But little do they know that the very last few moments of her life haunt me because I know she actually died in fear. I will take that to my grave and my siblings will never know that our mother didn't just die peacefully like they think. But somehow, I need to purge this to someone because it eats me up that I've been telling this lie to them for the last 5 years. So please consider this vent a way to release my guilt without doing it to the people it would only hurt. I know you all will understand.

P.s. After my mother's death, her doctor was contacted and he was shocked that she had died. He had okayed that she travel with us, but when she said it was to visit my brother 'down south' she hadn't told him that her son lived in the Sierra Mountains of Arizona, with an elevation of between 3 and 4 thousand feet. He felt that and the trip to Flagstaff at about 7,000 feet may have compromised the oxygen level in her blood too much (even though she never experienced shortness of breath)and may have brought on the stroke that was ruled her cause of death. So if any of you are on any heart medication at all and plan to travel, even if you feel perfectly healthy, please make sure your doctor knows if there will be any high altitude involved, like in Colorado, Nevada, Arizona etc. And thanks for the opportunity to confess the true story after 5 years. I feel so much better writing it, even if only a few have the patience to read it!

Comments (33)