SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Question about medicine cabinets and lights

catherinet
15 years ago

Hello,

We are remodeling a condo we rented out, but now want to sell it. Nothing has been changed since the 70's, so there's alot of work to do.

We are making choices that are fairly decent, but definitely not top of the line. The builder has encouraged us to choose from Lowe's, since he has a nice discount there.

Unfortunately, its hard to chose from things I don't particularly like! anyhow......here's my dilemma. I can find medicine cabinets that I like, but they will be surface mounted. I prefer recessed, but it will cut down on the cost to surface mount them.

I don't like the bar globe lights that come with it. They are separate, but blend in with the wood on the medicine cabinet.

But since I don't like them, I'm trying to pick out other lights that will look nice over this surface-mounted med cabinet. The problem is, they might not completely clear the top of the medicine cabinet, which would mean you couldn't open the cabinet door. Would it be really bad to mount them high enough to clear the doors, or would that be too high? Also, is it acceptable if I did that, that the lights might not be completely visible........I mean the entire fixture. I think the actual light bulbs would clear the cabinet, so you'd get the light.

Hope I haven't confused anyone!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments (6)