SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fishpants_gw

It's been two years...what I've learned, would change, etc...

fishpants
14 years ago

Yup. Can't believe we've been in our place that long! After being our GC, making most of the decisions (with full support of DH), surviving a whirlwind adoption, a life-altering surgery, and living in the house for two years, I think I can go forth with my "list of oops and loves". So here goes:

Oops:

-Living on a dirt road isn't fun when the snow melts or the June rains come.

-Want a bigger mudroom with separate cubbies for each family member.

-Laundry room is too small. Want a place for baskets for each person's clean clothes, to iron, etc. all in one room. And closer to the majority of bedrooms.

-Travertine kitchen floor with 3 (4 inc. DH) boys. And we cook/bake most of our meals from scratch.

-Air bath in master. It works great. But we just don't bathe. We shower. Extra money spent.

-Every bathroom has granite or marble countertops and stone floors. Beautiful. But it wasn't necessary. And harder to clean with all boys.

-Jack and Jill baths. Hate them now. Will only do private or hall accessed ones next time.

-24" griddle in kitchen range. Would rather have more burners.

-Gas fireplace. I want the real thing.

-White trim and doors. All boys. 'Nuff said.

-Bonus room over garage. Nice to have a huge playroom, but really a waste of space otherwise. Could have used the downstairs family room for a playroom instead. As it is, both rooms are underutilized.

Loves:

-My quirky but fun "pendant" lighting in the kitchen. Five bulbs on each chandelier over the island. Lots of light!

-Garage is 30' deep. We wouldn't be able to get our truck or SUV in and be able to walk around them otherwise.

-Living on a dirt road. It's quiet out here :)

-Pebble stone flooring in master bath.

-Steam shower.

-Lyptus flooring. Color varies enough to hide the dings and wear of life.

-American Clay plaster in the 3 rooms I did it in.

-Big work space in kitchen = multiple people can cook at one time.

-The pantry is 17' long. A little narrow at 4.5' wide, but the length makes up for being more narrow.

-Air switches at the sink for the pendant light and the disposal.

-Verde Fire granite island in kitchen.

-The "peanut" DeVine paint color (we color matched to a different paint brand) for the main color throughout. Hue changes with times of day.

-Generator DH decided to get. Paid for itself first time the power went out for hours and it was 19 below zero F outside! We had a few neighbors come over...

-Undermount sinks.

-Home office.

-Our 36" (each) fridge and freezer units by Northland. Paid the same $ to get both units as would have to get a single SZ unit. Work beautifully.

-Ceiling fans in bedrooms.

-Our massive mechanical room. Every piece of equipment has it's own spot and there is plenty of room to walk around in there.

-24" deep engineered floor trusses. They hide all the mechanical and plumbing. No bulkheads in the basement.

-Corbond insulation everywhere. Our garage does not go below 34F even when it is -20F or lower for multiple days. The carryover heat from the car engines is enough to keep it warm! But it also stays cooler in the summer too...

-Heavy duty doorknobs. They feel SO much better in hand and "wear" well.

I'm sure I will remember a bunch as soon as I post, but wanted to share. I know the decisions get overwhelming after awhile. It helped me to hear people talk about their positives and negatives after actually living in their home for awhile.

Comments (35)