SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minnesotaguy28

Adding More Insulation to the Ceiling worth it?

minnesotaguy28
13 years ago

Building a new house and I am always finding out what additional items cost with the builder.

2 Story house, 2200 sq ft finished, building in Minnesota, a pretty tight budget that was made even tighter with a required retaining wall in the backyard.

The attic currently will have a R44 14 3/4 thick blown in insulation.

To upgrade to a R50 16 3/4 it would be an additional $328.20.

Is this a smart upgrade? Will I get my money back from doing this in heating costs? If so, anyone know how long the payback time would be (ballpark guess?)

I also asked him to find out the cost to spray foam insulate just the bathroom walls (around 17 feet of wall x 8ft high with a good sized window in one of the bathrooms). Since he already has the guy coming to do spray rim joists I figured it wouldn't be that much more.....He came back with the cost at almost $600. Kinda pricey I thought.

Like many of the people that post in the monthly progress, I picked one heck of a month to start building....Snowiest Decemeber in Minnesota on Record. Builder said he still is on track for a 3 month build...start to finish...I hope so since we did a early lock on an interest rate before they spiked up again and don't have many days to play with before the lock expires.

They are going to insulate the ceiling Friday afternoon or Monday.

Comments (12)