SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heartmd_gw

Upgrade from 92-95% and adding variable valve/speed-Worth it?

heartmd
14 years ago

I currently have TWO 80% 20 year old Tempstar 150K BTU furnaces, one for each floor in my 4600 sq ft home (2300 in each floor) (built in 1989).

Due to some situation, the builder will be replacing both furnaces with new Trane 92% furnaces FREE. He says that per his calculations TWO 120K BTU furnaces will be enough for my home (I am adding R30 cellulose insulation to my attic)

I have to pay extra if I need TWO 95% furnaces instead and extra if I want TWO variable valve and variable speed ones (all from Trane)

I use $2288 worth of gas each year to heat my home and operate the hot water heater and drier each year.

Questions:

Am I right that I will save 3% on my gas bill with the extra 3% efficiency? That means I will save $60 each year and for the lifetime of the 95% furnace which is 20 years, I will save $60X20=$1200 for both furnaces ($600 for each furnace). So anything more than $600 extra for each 95% furnace will not be cost effective

What is the gas savings with the variable valve and variable speed.

Do variable valve and speed furnaces make any sense financially and even comfort wise in a 2 furnace home?

Comments (3)