SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjvbryan_gw

frustration with choosing appliances

mjvbryan
13 years ago

I originally posted this thread in the kitchen section and moved it here where I should have to begin with in case you read both sections.

I'm about to buy new appliances for my new home. I have no problem with mixing brands. I have been researching and checking them out for over two months. Also, I have read so many consumer reviews from various sites including this one and consumer affairs.

I am going with a Kenmore Elite dishwasher but an upgrade for $1300. I've really been happy with it for 4 1/2 years. The new one has a db of 43 which is the same as Bosch and Miele.

The cooktop is a 36" gas Kitchen Aid.

The vent insert is from Vent-a-Hood.

My problem is the double wall oven and refrigerator.

I have a Jenn Air double oven that's been pretty good for this same amount of time. I wanted to go with it again, but the consumer affairs complaints have been awful now that they've been taken over by Kitchen Aid. KA has a class action suit coming up concerning their wall ovens self-cleaning function destroying the ovens and shattering the glass. I like the Frigidaire Pro Series, but their oven relay panel sometimes melts from the high heat of the ovens because they are made of plastic instead of glass. Otherwise, their ovens have had good reviews.

Actually, no matter what brand I read about, the complaints are numerous. Is there a good quality brand out there that will last more than three years?

The same with the refrigerator. I'm looking for a three door cabinet depth refrigerator. I wanted the Jenn Air or Kitchen Aid, but they have continuous problems with the compressors and ice maker.. I have a Kenmore side by side now and have also had no problems, I may just have to stick with it. I'm not sure who makes Kenmore now, though I think it's Electrolux.

I'm not a gourmet cook, just the average get it on the table type . I do know that whatever I go with, I'm going to have to buy the extended warranties. I could really use some help!

Comments (7)