SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjsee_gw

Paint and hardware make a huge difference- long but with pics

mjsee
15 years ago

We bough our current house 10 years ago. PO's had painted the main bath a bright salmon pink. With alkyd paint. High gloss. Including the ceiling.

(You can click on the pictures and it will take you to my album where they will appear full size.)

Before:

From fall photos and pink bathroom

Note the delaminating doors on the vanity:

Took me all this time to work up the nerve to deal with the beast. Because I knew what would be involved...sanding every inch of that pink paint so that the primer would adhere. I kept thinking we'd just gut the thing and start fresh...but things like kids going to college and failing retaining walls kept getting in the way.

Then I got "furlowed" at work and needed a project.

Well, here is how it turned out:

Notice--I fixed the delaminated spots with wood filler...can't even tell they were there!

Please ignore the little foam brush on the sink handle...that was a make-shift painting tool. I had a hard time getting between the medicine cabinet and the mirror.

Took 1.5 quarts of Aura for the walls, less than a quart for the trim...ceiling is Ben Moore's Ceiling white (which I had leftover)--let's say $70 for the paint. At most. The hardware was under $10. New shower curtain and rings from Crate and Barrel were $80 including tax. New light switches, plug and plates were about $20. So for under $200 (and a week of my life) I got a beautiful bathroom.

The truly amazing thing is how different the TILE looks without all that pink reflected on it. I promise you...identical lighting conditions in all the pictures.

I don't know why I waited so long.

Comments (10)