SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

What a difference a year makes! (pics)

highalttransplant
15 years ago

Those of you that were around last year, probably remember a thread I started about some coreopsis and gaillardia that were wilted, and had some deformed blooms. Well, I never did figure out exactly what the cause was, but everything survived, and I learned a lot about jumping to conclusions, and about the fact that I'm not really in control of the garden. I can implement my vision, but what survives and what doesn't is not really up to me. Hard lessons for a control freak : )

Anyway, as I was out taking a few photos in the garden this morning, I noticed that the same plants that were struggling at this time last year, don't even have any blooms on them yet. Summer is definitely later this year. We had a couple of days in the 50's and 60's this week, and I don't know for sure, but I believe we had already reached the 90 degree mark by this time last year.

Not sure what the point of this thread is, other than to say that I can't believe how much I've learned in the past two years about gardening, and how much I appreciate all the advice I've received from you guys.

Here are a few pics of the garden:

This is the Coreopsis grandiflora 'Sunburst' that I had so much trouble with last year

... and the same Gaillardia 'Goblin' that had wilted blooms this time last year

Gaillardia 'Oranges & Lemons' first bloom of the season

{{gwi:232714}}

Sedum kamtschaticum 'Variegatum' in bloom

Heuchera 'Marmalade' starting to bloom

Peony 'Francis Ortegot' with Calamagrostis acutiflora 'Overdam' (Skybird this picture is for you)

Should the peony bloom this year? It was put in Sept. '06

Oh, and today we ate our first salad from the garden. It was delicious! Now if those peas would just hurry up and start blooming : )

Bonnie

Comments (6)