SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasspruce

What a difference 7 years can make...

texasspruce
12 years ago

Ok, I want to show everyone that conifer enthusiasts do exist below zone seven! LOL! I was bitten by the conifer bug in 2004 and have learned some valuable lessons the harde$t way, but never the less I have and will always be desparate to create a conifer garden I can enjoy in spite of the fact I live where we can easily have 100 days of 100 degree temps from June through September. Dallas, Texas is not know as a conifer capital or even a place where the possibility could exist. But once I got started I learned that every sort of Juniper, Cedar, Cypress, Ginko and Pine will do well here. Most Chamaecyparis and several Spruces will also thrive. So here is a pic of my small "garden sized" back yard in 2004 when I first began playing with the idea of going "conifer only." I did already have Italian Cypress and some Juniper established.

After seeing a few Blue Spruces around town, I thought, "If they can make them live, so can I." While I don't have the wonderful weather of the PNW I have a micro climate in east Dallas that allows me to at least enjoy the partial beauty these plants offer. Here is the same area today.

When I first started, I planted lots of things I realized were mistakes in choice spots. I, of course, pulled them up and replaced them with better specimens. Note the drive way in 2004.

And today I have two Fat Alberts, a Glacier Blue Deodara Cedar and a weeping White Spruce in the same area. This area is still a work in progress. This pic was taken before I remulched for summer and cleaned the area up.

{{gwi:665352}}

So for anyone who lives in North Texas, don't let others who didn't know what they were doing tell you conifers won't live here. They can and will. I have proof of that. Hope this inspires a few of you to plant more conifers in the fall! Don

Comments (4)