SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendog2_gw

Tile Wall Height for Doorless Shower

15 years ago

We want to convert a tub and shower to a doorless shower with a tile wall. Our space is 6 feet by 36 inches deep. There is a standard high window on the back wall of the shower. The tile wall will be 4 inches thick so the shower stall will end up 32 inches deep. My question is how tall and how long do we need to make the tile wall to avoid having water splashing out? We want to make the wall as short as possible so that it will look more open but not short enough to let water out.

We have a concrete slab. We will be building the wall on a 2x4 base using Redhead concrete anchors on the floor. It will also be anchored to one wall. Will this be enough support for the wall or will we need to run a post to the ceiling on the side where the wall ends? (I hope to avoid the post because it would be ugly.

Right now we have the shower spout coming out of the wall at 74.5 inches above the floor. Is this good or should we raise it? I have read that a rain shower would splash less water out. I have never tried using a rain shower. Does everyone like them? I am wondering if it is best to make the shower head come out of the ceiling or keep it on the wall?

My husband is doing the work himself. He is a good handyman but not a plumber. He is a little overwhelmed by this project. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments (7)