SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitney_sellers

Doorless walk-in shower design conflict with builder

Whitney S
3 years ago

I'm turning to the Houzz community for help with an issue we are having with our builder. We have decided to do a walk-in doorless shower in our master bathroom. I have seen this done time and time again, especially in new construction, but our builder has never done this before.

I know that the entire "wet area" needs to be recessed, as seen in the plan screen shot below, but you will notice that the drain is not placed appropriately in the actual "shower" area of the wet area. Since the builder has never done this before, they aren't exactly sure how to do this. They want to recess only the shower area, and not what we are considering the walk in "wet area" which I know is not an option since the shower will have no door and some water will indeed be splashing into the wet area.

Does anyone have any specs of a similar shower design or resources that I can share with my builder as to WHY recessing the entire wet area with the drain being in the center of the shower is absolutely critical when building this shower? I do know that not recessing the wet area is absolutely not an option and if the builder will not recess the whole area, we might have to go back to doing a shower with a door which is really not what we want to do!

Comments (25)