SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
inlawgrief

Inlaws refuse change

inlawgrief
15 years ago

My first post to this forum. 91-year-old FIL and 87 1/2 year old MIL. He had severe stroke 3 years ago. Mental condition very poor. MIL is almost totally wheelchair bound due to stroke/osteoporosis. 250 miles from us. Refuse to move closer. FIL is presently in "skilled nursing facility" after VA Hospital discharged him saying nothing more could be done for him but the 20 days are going to be up the end of this week and MIL says they will "put him out," and she says she is going to bring him home. He is in diapers and catheter and has feeding tube.

MIL is very secretive and we cannot get the truth from her on anything. No one has medical POA over either one of them. She took out reverse mortage on their home for most of its value and says it is all gone, but we don't know any details or whether she's telling the truth.

They are in Houston. The state revoked their driver's license because they couldn't pass test. When DH called her yesterday, MIL was leaving to drive herself to the grocery store. She cannot even walk by herself.

There is no possible way MIL can care for FIL or even herself properly but she gets extremely hostile and nasty when my husband tries to discuss making changes or questions her about applying for medicaid or other VA benefits. FIL served for 2 years during WW II. They have been getting home health aide for 3 hours 5 days a week but she won't tell us anything about how that is paid for.

Please suggest further options for their care. We are not financially in a position to pay for legal proceeding to get guardianship over them. They have absolutely no assets nor friends, family, etc, near them. I'm hoping to still be able to reason with MIL if I can present her with some options for their care.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County