SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vindivino

American Range broiler: What the hell??? (mildly long)

vindivino
15 years ago

I (kind of) love our new AR 36" w/ griddle. The range works/looks awesome aside from the damn broiler; from day 1 it has not worked. I called AR and to set up an appointment to have someone look at my range, they have never had a service call to my town so they had to hit the yellow pages to find someone. I told David (AR service Rep) about 1 guy in town IÂd prefer not working with because the guy is real jerk. But.... I said if need be call him itÂs no big deal, to ARÂs credit that did not even call the guy saying "they value their customerÂs opinions". Long story short AR ended up having a guy from a town about 1.5 hours away come and look @ the range. David sent a new thermostat ahead of time because he thought that was it.

First visit, it turns out it wasn't the Thermostat it was the button on the door to engage the broiler. It just needed to be adjusted. We fire up the broiler and a very strong gas smell starts pouring from the oven. The broiler does partially ignite but only really burns on one side and not in halo like it should. Service guy checks things out and determines AR has an LP coupling on broiler instead of Natural gas. Well, itÂs a Saturday, so he leaves and the next week AR sends him the wrong part so his Thursday visit is pushed to Saturday again. Saturday show up and heÂs got the same coupling as whatÂs installed on my range. Apparently the right coupling but in my service guys opinion "it seems too small and is not letting enough gas in". The broiler still does not work.

The service guy (although bit goofy) seems to know what he is doing but is at a loss for what is causing the broiler to not work properly. He is going to call AR first thing Monday and get their thoughts.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Has anyone had this problem with AR broilers? IÂve heard of little gas smell coming from ovens when turned on but nor I or the repairmen were comfortable with the amount of gas in the air from my broiler.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Comments (3)