SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jules8_gw

design help - slate floor with white tile tub surround

jules8
13 years ago

I could really use some design help for my small basement bath. it has a 5ft tub in an alcove, a toilet opposite in another alcove and a 30" vanity in yet another alcove. in between, the floor is 2 1/2' x 6'. the ceiling is 7' and there is no natural light.

our style is contemporary and we have already remodeled our kitchen and two other baths with glass, granite and brushed nickel. but the rest of the basement is fairly rustic with a fake stone fireplace and dark wooden blinds.

we plan on real slate for the floor and 8x12 white satin tiles stacked vertically around the tub. also an accent at the very top of granite and pearl white glass. the tub, toilet and sink will be bright white. the vanity top will be a honed granite that looks like soapstone. the vanity will be Kraftmaid with simple slab doors. and the faucets will be shiny chrome grohe, modern Concetto.

we didn't like any of the slate-like porcelain we saw, so we really want real slate for the floor. but I don't want it on the tub surround due to maintenance issues and I don't want the room to seem cave-like.

my questions are:

1) what do you think of mixing the slate and white satin tiles?

2) what would you recommend for the backsplash? the same granite as the top or slate and/or glass?

3) what do you think of a light colored vanity, honey spice or caramel.

any help and photos you could provide would be very welcome.

thanks.

Comments (2)