SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janieful

Help choosing my bathtub and surround

Janieful
11 years ago

We are currently adding on a bedroom, bathroom, and mudroom to the back of our 1920s bungalow. We are now at the point of choosing our plumbing fixtures. So far we have chosen the Kohler Memoirs pedestal and toilet and are trying to stick to the period bath look. There will be white hexagon tile on the floor and bead board on the walls.

Since we blew our budget on putting a basement on the addition, we have had to find some places to cut corners. One place where we are attempting to do this is with the bath. Initially we had talked about skipping the tile and doing a one piece fiberglass tub and surround in either acrylic or fiberglass. I personally don't mind these, and while I know it is not period, I like the ease of cleaning. Plus we were going to do a curtain instead of a glass door - a savings of over $800.

But now I am having second thoughts. We literally can't afford to tile it, but what about putting a cast iron tub on the bottom and those flexible waterproof walls as a surround? We currently have this in our upstairs bath, and while the original cast iron tub is really worn, the walls are actually super easy to clean. Someone put a nice moulding on the top, so it doesn't look terrible.

My reasoning was that we could then later upgrade to tile more easily than if we put a one-piece acrylic in. This way we have the cast iron tub already in place.

Also, any suggestions on which cast iron tub to buy? I hear good things about the Kohler Villager, but I HATE the anti-slip bottom on it. Isn't that a nightmare to clean? In fact, my biggest anxiety about this choice is finding a tub that I think will be easy to clean. We have two boys with dirty little feet in the summer. There's no way dirt isn't going to get caught in the tread.

I guess I'm just soliciting advice. Perhaps there is a solution we haven't thought of. I want a period bathroom, but there is also a budget to think of and overall maintenance.

Comments (3)