SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
microxl

What happens to the moisture?

microxl
16 years ago

A question and a little info sharing

I continue to debate with myself (and my wife) the pros and cons of the various basement subfloor applications like DriCore/Subfloor and Delta-FL and Platon products.

I think some GW posters have made it pretty clear that Delta-FL or Platon type materials are the most economical way to go. I like them too because there is no OSB involved, at least if I use a floating laminate floor on top.

But, I have this nagging question as to what happens to all the moisture and air that circulates under the material? Can anyone explain this? Does it work its way to the sides of the room and escape up along the walls? I would think it has to go somewhere.

According to the Platon website it says you can even use the material on the interior cement basement walls securing and sealing it at the top with a caulk (PL procuct?). (It doesn't say if you seal it to the floor Platon as well or not.) It goes on to say that if using fiber glass insulation to be sure to use the standard vapor barrier before installing sheetrock. This would in effect create a double vapor barrier, one on each side of the insulation I would think.

By coincidence I came across a Univ. of Minnesota study that tested and compared different basement moisture barrier applications:

http://www.buildingfoundation.umn.edu/RimJoist/recommendations.htm

In short,they came to find that in cold climates moisture can condense on either side of a single moisture barrier depending on the time of year because moisture will go both ways. They concluded that the double barrier was the best way to keep the insulation dry. When installing framing for the basement perimeter they installed and sealed poly sheeting on the back side before hoisting the framing into place.

Comments (9)