kaismom_gw

speed oven with MW: Electrolux versus Miele

kaismom
14 years ago

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/E30SO75ESS.html

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/H4082BM.html

How do these ovens differ?

The price differential is about $1000

It looks as if they both do what I want. Feedback please....

Comments (37)

• User
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

the miele has a top and bottom heating element the ELux doesn't. Miele also has a menu based cooking interface for those that like that sort of thing. It is also backed by miele who is serious about quality products while electrolux is simply a tarted up division of frigidaire that does a good job of repackaging the mothership's stuff and charging a lot more $$$ , but is not really good at delivering increased quality.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

Antss How bout ending the "Miele Melodies" You're barkin', er singing up the wrong TREE!!!! There have been Many Many MANY + a few more that that state the FACT::: THAT::::
    Electrolux owns Fridigaire, not the other way around. Electrolux spent many hours researching the US Market back around 2005. They looked at what was currently offered by the other Manufactures, Miele, GE etc etc--then they tried to do them "One Better" and when it comes to Speed ovens and Convection ovens , They DID!!! First with the "Coolest Door in the Industry" First with the ball bearing and fully glide out racks on their Convection ovens, (Something that Miele and some others are just starting to copy).
    Seen many reports of the Miele being somewhat difficult to program when you just want to use it as a microwave---You have to go thru a menu unless you want to use the 4 preset times the Miele has. To microwave on the Electrolux, type your time, (Like 33 seconds) then hit start (which lights up green for you)You seem to hint that only the Miele has a menu based cooking interface, so does the Electrolux,even with 134 built in recipes, but you use it when you choose(not cause ya hafta A-La-Miele.)
    We have also seen reports of the Miele speed oven being hard to clean due to the "Hooked Surface" that they must use, to disperse the microwaves, because they dont have a rotating carousel.
    The Electrolux does not have the top and bottom elements it has a convection unit in the rear. It works great not only as a microwave but also a Speed oven. A baked potatoe (big one) in 7.5 minutes. I toast my toast with it. It has bake, Grill, Roast buttons, among others.
    I have baked turkey legs in it, works great.
    We had the speed oven as well as the Electrolux Convection oven for 3 years and it has been trouble free and we Love them!!!!
    I'm not a Miele hater, We have a Miele Optima DW and it's great, but to say that Miele makes the greatest ovens speed ovens etc etc is a stretch as we can see from other posts here, in fact I recall seeing in another post where you mentioned the need to "Diversify" I guess in your case that Means "Miele, miele, das miele, etcetcetc!
    To say that a manufacturer can not make an Economy line (Fridigaire) and still not turn out high performance products is a FARCE and close to a lie due to your "Purposeful misrepresentation" of Electrolux---You have seen the other posts about "who owns who" and if fact you being in the Appliance business, You knew "darn well" that you made a ficticious representation!!!!SO wise up and be HONEST with these folks!!!!!
    DISGUSTINGLY!!!!!

Gary

• Related Discussions

Miele Chef versus Master Chef Speed Oven

Q

Comments (15)
    The resurrection of this thread is perfect timing. I'm planning on a six burner 36 inch Culinarian range, and had been up in the air about an additional oven. DW and I were in an appliance store in Tampa yesterday, and since we don't do a tremendous amount of baking, the Miele Speed Oven and a warming drawer seem to be a good complement for us to the large gas oven of the range (whether an additional full size wall oven, in addition or instead of the Speed Oven, would be better or resale purposes at some point down the road is another matter). In comparing the two, my bride much preferred the more conventional controls of the Chef series SO. Even though she's still likely to want a dedicated microwave oven (doesn't trust that the SO will do that and hold up over time), she didn't like having to push the Master Chef menu buttons through about three levels to get to the point where she could enter the numbers for a straight microwave task. OTOH, the combination of different modes one can use is so staggering to an untutored barbarian such as me that I have to wonder whether the Master Chef would ultimately show me how to get that much more value/use from the SO. For example, DW likes to take a frozen filet of salmon and nuke it. To me, it's hot and edible, but that's about all I can say for it. I can imagine the Master Chef first defrosting, then roasting that same block of salmon in a much more appealing fashion than straight nuking. I just wonder how many pieces of fish I'd ruin if experimenting with the Chef oven before breaking the code for times and modes of cooking. :-) I grill 90% of the fish I prepare (gas grill or over hardwood charcoal on the back porch), so the oven roasting would definitely be a new experience for me.
    ...See More

Advantium versus miele speed oven?

Q

Comments (16)
    We've had our Advantium 240 for a year, and we're pleased with it. It does have a microwave function, separate from the speed oven function--there are two sets of button controls. The microwave mode has programs of food cooking settings built in, an express button that will give you 30 seconds of High for every button push, or you can set time and amount of power manually. The oven comes with a white ceramic tray that sits on the turntable for microwave mode. For speed oven mode, you remove the white ceramic tray & either place food on either the smooth or "grill" metal tray provided or in a glass baking dish--the tray or the dish then go directly on the turntable. For a recipe, you then set the power level for the Upper halogen, Lower halogen, and Microwave, plus time. The Advantium comes with a recipe book that gives these settings. Some recipes include some microwave power & some don't. Or, you can press the automatic speed cook button, which lets you choose from a variety of preprogrammed options, which include most packaged frozen foods.
    ...See More

Electrolux, Miele, or Advantium Speed Oven?

Q

Comments (6)
    Advance disclaimer: I don't own any of these YET. We're beginning a remodel and I've been spending the better part of my free time over the past 2 weeks trying to figure out this exact issue. I did have a chance to compare live models side-by-side last weekend. The Miele definitely DOES have a dedicated broiler element. In fact that's the main reason we're probably going to go that way vs the Advantium. The Advantium's broiler uses a halogen light, but it illuminates only about 1/3 of the interior, which means you MUST use the turntable to get anything remotely approaching a broil or top-brown. I've never used halogen broiling, so I don't know if there's a difference between broiling 3" from the element or 7", but that TT means you're going to have to use either round baking pans or whatever rectangular dish which can fit inside a 16" circle and it has to be on the bottom of the oven. There is a rack you can place midway, but it's ONLY for straight convection oven use (no MW, no broil). ONe thing which is pushing me back to the Advantium, OTOH, is Miele's lack of sensor MW. OTOH, this disadvantage is largely minimized, since the Master Chef menus have pre-programmed settings for many of the functions I had used my old MW's sensor. Oh yeah, those Master Chef menus: Kind of a PITA. If you mis-key anything, you have to step backwards through numerous screens and/or just hit "off" and start over again. The Advantium's functions are a little easier to select since a lot of the selections are done through a rotary dial. I'm sure practice will minimize this difference between the units, though. Miele does offer a non-master chef version (H4042) with none of the stored settings, nested menus, fancy display for about $600 cheaper. Unfortunately the dealer's display model wasn't plugged in so I couldn't try it out. My guess is that if you happen to know which settings for combination/time/temp to use, it's much easier to dial in than the master chef, but since I'll be new to combination speed cooking, there will be lots of trial-and-error learning before I could come up with the parameters off the top of my head. The Miele site does have owners' manuals available, but you have to dig around in order to find them. Like I said, we're probably going to end up with the Miele. Anybody out there have experience with the non-master H4042? Regards, --Mike, the DH.
    ...See More

Miele Speed Oven versus Microwave with existing Steam Combi

Q

Comments (13)
    My Miele SO allows you to set the micro timer up to 10 mins per operation. That should be sufficient for most needs. I had a very intermittent issue with the micro function. (3 times in 16 months). It only happened to me once in month 16 where I saw the error message the other two times my daughter was using it. The error resulted in the oven restarting and all was good so not a show stopper as far as function. I called MIele and asked what the error was. They told me it was an expensive repair and since was I "slightly" out of warranty (1 year - did not purchase the 5) they would repair it free as a one time goodwill which they did. I was very pleased at the service. I use the oven almost daily as a small oven and it works as well as my combi steam in the non steam modes. It is a great small oven.
    ...See More
  • homepro01
    14 years ago

Can't speak to the Frigidaire/Electrolux since I don't own one. I have the Miele. The surface is as easy to clean as my previous Sharp microwave. I follow the same routine to clean it as I did my previous micro/convec oven. I put a bowl of water with two tablespoons of lemon juice. I heat for five minutes and wipe the interior of the oven down. It works wonderfully for my use. I use it as a microwave, speed cook oven and I also use it for bacon. I have also broiled steak in it. I own a toaster for toast since ovens do really do toast in my opinion. When I use the microwave, I hit the minute button and if I need less than a minute, I usually grab the item before the time runs out.

Dodge,
    I believe the last time I looked at this that the American and Canadian Electrolux are nothing more than Frigidaires. In Europe Electrolux makes a lot of products that they don't bring to the US and are quite different. Having said that, if the Electrolux works for your lifestyle and you like the features, then by all means purchase it.

Best of luck!

• User
    14 years ago

dodge - I obviously hit a nerve with you and you speed oven. Nowhere in my post did I say Miele had the best one, I only pointed out the differences. I did add my personal comment on the Elux brand's value proposition which I think is correct, but I did not say it was junk. What I did say was that they have nice packaging - good looks, some cool do dads. The real guts though are still frigidaire.

Never meant to imply ownership relationships and it's well known that Electrolux (the Sweedish multinational) bought Frigidaire a few years ago as an entree to the US market. Their other global brands - read smallish euro boxes don't play well here en masse and they wouldn't be able to compete quality wise or as a newcommer against the likes of Bosch/Miele/Asko who have been here for decades. It goes back to value - you are not getting something with a euro pedigree when you buy Electrolux. It's nice but nice is not the same thing.

I acknowledge they hit a home run with their ovens in looks and features department, but as some have pointed out roller ball racks are nice, flaking interiors are not. No one ever complains of flaking porcelain in a miele. Again this speaks to do dads versus REAL quality. America is great in that there are product for people that want the latest features and there are products for those that want the utmost quality. And stuff in between. Lack of quality does not necessarily mean something is junk!

Re: their speed oven - they didn't break any ground with that - They do offer a drop down door which is great for choice but their speed oven does not have a user / recipie menu for it's oven interface. I should have pointed out about the micro feature -afterall - I pointed that out to this board long ago , some things I take for granted as common knowledge. SO on a whole it's a wash I think as about as many people will care about being able to press a cornish game hen program as will want 33 seconds instead of 30 for coffee warming. It's just a difference not a be all end all.

The reports of the Miele speed oven as hard to clean is actually one report that seems to have stuck in the collective consciousness of this group. It has been discounted by several miele owners as a fluke. It is no more or less easy to clean the Miele speed oven than a Wolf/ Dacor/ GE or Electrolux when a random sample is taken. Some may find the textured stainless more work on the Miele than the smooth steel of the other brands while others thinks those unit's cheese grater vents and exposed screws and turntables are harder. It's an non factor for most as none are really easy to clean. I have both and offer a real world perspective- it's different cleaning.

The texture of the Miele is not because it doesn't have a turntable. It use a stirrer stick in the magnetron pak. This is a better way to do it and is how Amana's first units did it. It is a more costly way though, so most companies eschew this for more sales and profit. A turntable works - if it didn't you wouldn't see 98% of all micros have one. And most people don't care - does it work , is all?

On your ELUX speed oven vs Miele's for bake, grill, roast. Miele's has a true convestion element too. IT ALSO HAS a broil element and a bottom bake element. SO all of these ovens that have a broil feature but no top element are really touting you a fake or pseudo broil by manipulating the air currents. If your reg Elux oven didn't have a top element or a bottom element you'd have a conniption if they tried to sell it as a "real" oven. I didn't pass judgement in the response only pointed out Miele had it Elux/others don't.

"To say that a manufacturer can not make an Economy line (Fridigaire) and still not turn out high performance products is a FARCE and close to a lie due to your "Purposeful misrepresentation" of Electrolux"

I never said this - see above - what I alluded to was that you are not getting something vastly different from a Frigidaire with Electrolux. It's has a better paint job and more and nicer features, but given the price points I am really disappointed when I "look under the hood". This is something entirely different than they are incapable of making good stuff or they make junk - neither of which I said. It was never to intent to mislead anyone, maybe you should direct your anger/frustration to the suits over in Augusta or Charlotte if they've moved already. Ask them why you are getting a rebadged Frigidaire instead of something from a storied Euro brand. This is probably due to the fact that Elux has a long history of gobbling up lesser players and elevating their (swallowed up entity's) status by applying better branding and creature comforts. Miele has a history of innovating and striving for quality. Both are fine and viable business strategies. They are totally different mentalities though.

I was / am a champion of diversifying and take exception to you're shot that I'm a Miele or the highway guy. I don't always rec the Miele. Even for just use as a microwave, as has been pointed out, it's a pretty tough use and it's pricey. There are better options out there if you just use the micro and none are Miele. If one wants a SMALL/ 2nd "oven" and additionally a microwave feature included then that is a very good/best choice based on it's oven capabilities which no other brand can match. Sometimes a poster is most concerned with looks, then the best choice may be a lesser quality or featured micro/speed oven so as to harmonize with their main oven. Some don't give a hoot about looks they want "the best", some want the best price, so it all depends on the circumstances. It might just happen around here that a Miele product fits a poster's requirement more often. In my everyday projects AND my personal residences we do not use miele everything , haven't tallied it up but I'll bet it's around 50% at most. That's because they don't always fit the circumstances.

I have also rec'd your same Elux main oven to a poster here before based on his/her needs. Same with a GE monogram. I have/do recommend Bosch dishwashers for some people. I also say around here how I think Bosch is cheapening their brand and selling crap DW's today in a recent move. This doesn't mean you still can't get a great unit and value. It's just not a real good certainty across their offerings like it used to be. I have also said Miele cooktops are way behind in features and value, same with hoods and have never to my knowledge recd one round here. They have a great selection of COMBI units too, but I'd sooner have a Wolf or Gaggenau for one of those. This doesn't change the fact that all of those product are well built and high quality. There are simply better choices for on those for most people out there. If they happened to fit a particular person's need I would and have specified Miele combis and hoods and I have even owned a miele cooktop once. As a general rule though ...........no.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

You are right, You hit a nerve. Frigidaire, many years ago was bought by White Industries--some may recall them as White Westintinghouse. They owned many brands including Gibson, Kelvinator and much to my surprise, Viking. So Frigidaire was just a small part of White Industries.AEG Electrolux purchased White Industries in 1986 Electrolux was the largest European manufacturer of ALL Appliances at that time, and they wanted to expand more into the US market.
    Don't you "Honestly Think" that if you tell somebody that their Viking Appliance was made by Viking, "which is simply a tarted up division of frigidaire that does a good job of repackaging the mothership's stuff and charging a lot more $$$ , but is not really good at delivering increased quality.",--that you will endear yourself to them?
    As you seen from my post and you can check the info yourself by Googling "White Insustries".
    One could just as easily say the Electrolux was made by Westinghouse, or Gibson or Kelvinator.
    Apparently you feel that Frigidaire is the least common denominator (worst reputation) so you use that to compare a Miele to an Electrolux, when if fact if you do more research you will find that Electrolux actually makes these appliances, as well as the others after they bought White Industries.
    As I mentioned with the DW, The Miele is a great dishwasher alto we didnt know that when we bought it--didn't know about Garden Web back then--We bought it cause of the Cutlery tray.
    I think, far as ovens & Speed ovens go, both are great products and either would do the job the OP asked. I have mine for over 3 years and use it every day--our most used appliance, so I can speak from experience when it comes to Electrolux Ovens and speed ovens, ditto for Miele Diswasher.
    You may have seen my other post where I recommend to another poster NOT to buy an "Electrolux Group Pack" particularly the fridge, as I have seen enough negative posts here that until someone can convince me they solved the problems with their new fridge---I would pass.
    Gary

• kaismom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all your info. The both sound like good ovens.

I am really looking at my choices because I am looking at 15k worth of appliances, not a small pocket change!

I want to give a real life example:
    This morning, we made omelets on the cooktop, bacon in the regular oven, steamed milk for kids and coffee with MW (after milk is hot, we make the foam using french coffee press, a trick we learned many years ago), and heated ciabata bread in the toaster oven. The ovens are working all at once.

If I put bacon and bread in the same oven, Electolux or Miele, (This I have never done), will the bread taste like bacon? They advertise that it won't.... Obviously, you see why I would like the second oven. Just curious.

How quickly can I change from MW mode to baking mode in these ovens? I have already decide Adventium is too cumbersom for my daily needs because you have to swap things out!

Thanks.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

"If I put bacon and bread in the same oven, Electolux or Miele, (This I have never done), will the bread taste like bacon? They advertise that it won't.... Obviously, you see why I would like the second oven. Just curious"
    When You say "They advertise" which Speed oven are you talking about? I think with either oven, I would take that one with "A grain of salt" but to be honest, I have never tried it, alto I do toast in the Speedoven, as I don't eat toast enough to buy a toaster and then have to put it away after use.
    The Electrolux Speed oven is normally in the MW mode as you saw from my post, I know it takes 115 seconds to heat my huge cup of coffee, so I stumble down in the morning, fill the cup with water, add the instant coffee and sugar, place it in the speed oven, push 1 1 5 start light turns green--so I know what to push next.
    It also is "Menu driven", not sure why some post,"but their speed oven does not have a user / recipie menu for it's oven interface" It has 134 built in recipes (well mine does) hopefully that is still in their latest model.
    The 1st couple of times, I did not know how long it would take to speed cook a tater or yam---so I went to it's menu, selected potatoes--it asked me "How many" as it was a big one , I answered 2, it then told me to remove food from oven and it would preheat, it did and beeped when it was done preheating, the display told me to put the food in and press "Start"--which was lit up green. Now if this is not menu driven, what is----should it have reached out and grabbed the tater? It beeps again when the tater is done and gives you the option to add more time, or cancel to quit (Cancel is lit up in red)It then says "Cooling".
    Again to use as MW again just push the time ya want and push start.
    It has button for popcorn, defrost etc etc.
    When it is in the convection mode, or speed oven mode, (as that runs the convection too) it does make some noise, We have the appliance at about eye level, (we're old and the less stooping the better) so this would tend to enhance the noise (The convection fan). The noise does not bother us and we do not have to speak louder to "Talk over it", but I have seen other posts where users are concerned about noise, so I feel it is only fair to mention that.
    How quiet is the Miele?, sorry, I have a Miele DW Only, so I can't comment on the Miele noise (if any), nor do I recall any posts about noise on either Speed Oven.

I also want to correct The name I used, "White Industries"----so I don't send you folks on a wild goose chase.
    I shudda typed "White Consolidated"
    "Company History:
    White Consolidated Industries Inc. (WCI), part of the Electrolux Group since 1986, manufactures and markets a wide variety of appliances for Electrolux's North American operations. Perhaps most recognized in the United States among WCI's holdings are the brand names of Viking and White sewing machines, Eureka vacuum cleaners, appliances under the Philco, White-Westinghouse, and Tappan names, and Poulan/Weed Eater chainsaws and trimmers.

Good luck on your ensuing decision, It would really be nice if you had a close friend or neighbor so you could "See one in Action"
    Regards:

Gary

• cookingkaren
    14 years ago

Kaismom-
    I have been looking at the Miele and the Advantium. Want to use it as a second oven mostly, but as a Micro when needed. I have a friend who raved about the Advantium. found the miele on my own and liked better since it didn't have the turn table which limits pan size. Found a BIGGER advantium TT today (18" vs 12") and now am confused. What made you rule out advantium. (I know no one with Meile, but liked its look better. The two seem to flip flop on pricing depending on where I go. Would love to hear your thoughts.

thanks, Karen

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

I should have added in my last post, that you can download the operator's manuals for these speed ovens, Miele, GE, Electrolux, from the AJMadison site, and probably others.
    This is what I did before I bought the Electrolux, and it really wetted my appetite to get it, plus I knew a lil about it before we actually had it in use. You can compare, see which appears easiest for you to use, and what features it may or may not have.

Gary

• User
    14 years ago

Your Viking ref. makes no sense because they have nothing to do with Frigidaire or it's siblings. Don't know where you got the info on the Frig/White/Elux connection with Viking Range that everyone around here talks about, but it's flat out wrong. Viking is privately owned and always has been since startup in the late 80's by Fred Carl and some NewYork investment bankers. I do chide them a lot for tarting up generic stand alone fridges and dishwashers , raising the prices and adding no real value. The look / matchy factor is important to some , but even most of that crowd admits that it's something they may be willing to pay for but it's not "value".

For those interested in the history lesson - White industries bought Frigidaire from General motors who is pretty much single handedly responsible for any "brand equity" that co. has today. Some of you may remember when Frigidaire products also had a the square "GM" logo on them during their heyday. White obviously didn't know what they were doing cause they are a non entity today having been swallowed up entirely by a larger , leaner smarter fish, instead of peddeling off the frig.. division to Elux for a nice profit like GM did or GE frequently does.

Re: Gibson and Kelvinator - little if anything of those business is left except the intelectual property so NO, don't think that has any bearing to the point either. Same with Westinghouse that is simply a "brand name" and I believe Elux Licensees it out to someone rather than keep production in house.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

"Viking and White sewing machines" Looks like only Viking Sewing Machines, No worries , Viking Appliance users, Your Vikings won't be called a Frigidaires!!!
    Enjoy em!!

Gary

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

For the record, I reread this several times,"Perhaps most recognized in the United States among WCI's holdings are the brand names of Viking and White sewing machines" and decided the writer of this meant Viking Sewing machines and White Sewing Machines, and I actually added the correction BEFORE, Antss last post, alto don't know why his showed up first.
    Anyway, this Old Guy gonna enjoys his Frigidaire Appliances.

Cheers to All

• mojavean
    14 years ago

We have the Miele speed oven. It does not have heating elements top and bottom, only on the top. The size of the oven is such that it is unlikely anyone will be putting bread and bacon in it simultaneously! It is a microwave/broiler/convection device with only one shelf (a glass dish, essentially, with a single wire rack that may be nested within.) The chief use for us is as microwave, of course, and toaster oven. The master chef mode is really just a small library of various dishes that one may select by menu, such things as frozen pizza and hors d'oeuvres and poultry, where the oven keeps track of the details (temps, durations, cooking modes)

I haven't used the Electrolux, but I would be happy to make stuff up about it like Antss if anybody wants me to.

• User
    14 years ago

moja - new oven has a bottom element. All have 3 rack positions and you can easily get another set of tray/racks from parts if you want the additional capacity on convection bake setting. Other don't have this option.

So check YOUR facts before YOU MAKE STUFF UP !

Here, I'll make it easy for you:
    under features , 2nd from last. What does it say ???

Here is a link that might be useful: speed oven FACTS incld. BOTTOM element

• mojavean
    14 years ago

Oh snap! My oven is the older H4080, not the 4082, so you were right, Antsy. But best of luck getting more than one rack of anything in the Miele. The interior (of mine, at least) is 8" tall. About the only way you are going to get bread AND bacon in the thing at the same time is if it is pita bread or tortillas.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

I wasn't gonna bother to post on GW, anymore , but I havta congradulate you on your HONESTY, Mojavean!!!!! I'm guilty of it, and maybe a few other too????-----that whatever we bought was "THE BEST" and of course it is "Faultless"--so nice to see your post which I'm sure is really helpful to the OP.
    I meausured my "tarted up Frididaire", and it's height is just barely short of 10 inches with the carousel out, with it in, it measures 9 inches---hope this helps---kaismon!

Gary

• aprince
    14 years ago

The Miele speed oven is not comparable to any other oven in quality or features. It is an oven first and foremost, where as all others seem to be designed for the american microwave consumer. Except for the size, this oven will outperform most other ovens on the market, with or without a microwave.
    A couple big differences that make this unique are:
    --as Antss correctly stated, bake AND broil elements AND convection.
    --Power requirements are 220, not 110. This allows the oven and microwave to operate at the same time for true speed cooking instead of alternating back and forth.

This is designed as a workhorse with features and settings to perform great.

However, the Miele may be more than you want.

I have no idea on the Electrolux. It will certainly cost less but there are people who seem to like it.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

The Electrolux B/I is described (On my sales slip) as a Microwave/Oven. It does run off 230 volts, not 110 volts, so it actually does "Speed cook" ie convection and microwave at same time. As Antss mentioned, it does not have a top or bottom burner, but does a have a "True Convection" unit at the rear (fan + heat). It takes 7.5 minutes to do bake a large potato, while my Icon Convection oven takes 45 minutes. You must preheat heat it first, just like any other oven for baking. That typically takes about 5 minutes. You can also choose your baking temp, 300 350 etc etc.
    As I mentioned, I have baked (not speed cooked) turkey legs in it, and they come out nice and brown--not greyish had they just been nuked. Toasts comes out great in it.
    It is an oven, course it will not broil as it has no top burner. It has buttons for Grill, Roast & bake. I have not tried the grill as we live in Calif and I go outside to grill and broil.
    The model number of mine is E30SO75ESS and if the OP wishes, I can look at it's replacement number.
    We've had it and used it day in day out for well over 3 years now. Our most used appliance. Why heat up our BIG Convection oven unless something is too large to fit inside the speed oven.
    I would recommend to folks who want to post about the Electrolux Speed oven to at least download the Operator's manual for it, so your post here are "On Target" as to what the Speed oven is or isn't.

Gary

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

GO here to see user reviews on the AJMadison site. It got 3 reviews, all 5 out of 5 and I would make that a 4th , 5 out of 5, sooo rather than retype what the users said about the oven on AJmadison,(and I might "fowl uP" like I did reading the White Consolidate info, just click the link below. I hope it helps!

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Icon Speed Oven Reviews

• aprince
    14 years ago

I didn't say Electrolux runs on 110. I actually stated "I have no idea on the Electrolux. It will certainly cost less but there are people who seem to like it." Which is the equivalant to stating "..........". Yeah, there is no word there because I really said nothing about it.

• mindstorm
    14 years ago

A couple big differences that make this unique are:
    -- ..., bake AND broil elements AND ...
    -- Power requirements are 220, not 110.

Usually, unique means "unlike any others" or "one of a kind". Unique doesn't usually mean: "I know nothing about the rest of the space and here are the characteristics of this unit - they may or may not be identical to others".

So apparently, 220V operation isn't all that unique and certainly not that different. No? ;-)

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

Aprince, I never used your name in the post you mentioned.
    We all want to be as helpful as we can to msgs we care to respond to. I typed this:"I would recommend to folks who want to post about the Electrolux Speed oven to at least download the Operator's manual for it, so your post here are "On Target" as to what the Speed oven is or isn't."
    Note I said "Folks" nowhere did I mention "Royalty"
    I sometimes quote what other folks have posted about appliances, but after the fowl up I made, (Misreading the White Consolidated info) that Unless I have personal info (used the product), I (me) will refrain from commenting on it---Not saying you or others should do the same. I just suggested to "Folks" if you wish to give technical info on X or Y product, Might it be a good idea to have the Op Manual Handy?

Gary

• momotom
    14 years ago

With the exception of a Miele, which I can't afford and I know is different, can anyone tell me what the difference is between a convection/microwave oven and a speed oven like electrolux/Advantium. I need to replace my current, and excellent conv/micro and can't get my mind around what the differences are? What are we talking about in terms of speed? Thanks so much.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

momotom click on Icon Speed Oven Reviews
    below to see actual reviews of the product. Electrolux Icon Speed Oven. The users there tell you how long it takes to cook some things, chicken etc. A baked potatoe or yam takes 45 minutes in my regular oven and about 7.5 mins in the speed oven.The operator's manual is also on that link (Icon Speed Oven Reviews). That will also give you some of the info you requested. For your convenience, I put the link below this post too.
    Good luck!!

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Icon Speed Oven Reviews

• User
    14 years ago

momotom - the terms are different but a speed oven is essentially a microwave/ convection oven. The "speed" comes in when a unit is able to use microwave power and its other type of heating at the same time, reducing cook times.

the Advantium is the same animal except instead of a traditional coil element to provide heat it uses a very powerful lightbulb.

• aprince
    14 years ago

Unique doesn't mean unlike all others, with no exceptions. Multiple definitions exist, some stating "unlike all others", where as others state "not-typical, or unusual" or "limitied in occurence."
    Carbonado, also know as black diamond, is a unique diamond but is not the only diamond. Miele's clean touch steel is unique, but it is not the only finger proof resistant SS on the market. Miele's masterchef program is unique but again, others offer similar food driven programs. Jenn Air's french door refrigerators with dispenser's are unique because the water is filtered on demand, unlike most, if not all others that filter water then store in a reservoir.

Of all the oven/microwave combinations out there from all the manufacturer's, I would say that 220 is not typical.

also, as Dodge1959 may have impied, can be used as primary ovens in lieu of the less efficient larger ovens. And IMO should be.

• nyc_sport
    14 years ago

Not exactly on topic, but I am going to install some sort of speed oven under counter in a butler's pantry for use as a second oven and microwave. Other than the 110v Advantium, most seem to suggest that they are not approved for undercounter installations. Anyone know why and have people done the undercounter install with a Miele or other comparable?

• User
    14 years ago

sport - has to mainly do with safety and risk mgmt. discussions in conference rooms.

We have specified several under counter, often in islands. They can be great for kids to make stuff for themselves. For adults it can be annoying especially if tall.

• momotom
    14 years ago

Thanks antss for the explanation regarding speed ovens vs. convec/microwaves.

• Diane Clayton
    14 years ago

Nice reviews on ajmadison, thanks.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

YW, montanamaven. A former employee of mine lives in Gildford Montana, so we gotta take good care of Montana.
    Well, following my own advice, (alto I do have this speed oven and it's Op Manual, I downloaded the parts manual).

So we saw "This Posted" " If your reg Elux oven didn't have a top element or a bottom element you'd have a conniption if they tried to sell it as a "real" oven. I didn't pass judgement in the response only pointed out Miele had it Elux/others don't."
    Well, not "TOTALLY Accurate". The Electrolux DOES (YES DOES) have a TOP heating element. It also has a SIDE heating element---but you are correct doesnt have one on the bottom (I dont miss it as the side and top elements heat the thing plenty fast).

Anyway, not pointing fingers, or telling anybody they were wrong etc etc, Just pointing out, that if we don't do our research "FIRST", before posting, then we are not gonna be as much help to folks that post questions---Don't ya think??
    Let's see for example.
    (1) The Electrolux Speed oven Runs off 120 Volts not 230 WRONG
    (2) The Electrolux Speed oven does not have heaters below or above--Partially WRONG It does have a top heater, not a bottom heater but uses a side heater instead.
    (3) The Electrolux is not a real oven,---WRONG or PARTIALLY WRONG--- It can't bake and broil.---Partially wrong (broil??????)WRONG ABOUT NOT BAKING-- Done a ton of baking, as now we see it has both top and side elements (I wont talk about broil as I haven't tried it and the top burner does have a cover over it with holes, those of you that read the AJMadison reviews found, that according to the folks there, the oven bakes very
    nicely--some even said it bakes better than a regular oven---hmmmmm---where have we seen that said before??(Miele)???

I must admit, that finding the actual burner locations(top and sides) was a bit of a pain as I had to actually download the parts manual to find them-but butt butttt, I haven't really read the operators manual "TOTALLY and Complete"--of If I did my CRS kicked in an I forgot what I read.

Anyway, I hope we set the record staight as to what the Electrolux Speed oven is or Ain't!!!
    by the way, It is on special here for $1699 + free shipping and a free 10 year warranty (regular price of a 10 year warranty is $49 for it---You Miele folks may wanna check the price of a 10 year warranty on the Miele Speed oven.
    Anyway click the link below to see the site and price, sorry I know nuttin bout the company selling it!!!

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: $1699 for the Electrolux Speed Oven

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

The electrolux Icon Speed Oven DOES HAVE A "POPCORN BUTTON",
    The poster here, points out (MODESTLY) LOL
    It also has "Menu driven cooking interface" but You choose when to use it! I do ocasionally as this "Rookie Cookie" didnt know how long to speed cook a tater, and it set the time and temp for me.
    Regards

Gary

• User
    14 years ago

dodge - I stand corrected, it does have a top heating element , but not one like you are accustomed to seeing in a regular oven. It is concealed and by the looks of it from a parts diagram it is the main heating element for the the "convection" feature. The side element is pretty small. Had to look at that schematic too as the units I've seen didn't reveal a top element on inspection.

Now, I have a few problems with this arrangement. The miele's exposed top or broil element is there only for radiant heat like you'd want for browning the top a a gratin or toast done on one side. It's convection element is on it' fan motor like almost all full sized convection ovens. The Elux's top element being concealed robs much of that radiant energy that could be delivered to the top of your food item. I'm pretty sure that element only comes on with the oven fan yes??? Miele's works independently.

Is this a major problem ? Seriously doubt it, I'll bet it works fine, just that the other arrangement is better. Costs more though.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

I know the fan comes on when I speed cook, and I believe it comes on too for the "Grill Function"---that's the one I use for toast. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be able to broil the way the element is actually covered and in fact it has no "Broil button" But it does bake well, nice colour and a slight crust to the turkey legs I have done there. Have you read the post about it's actually cooking and baking abilities according to the 3 reviewers on the AJMadison site? I hunted for Miele speed oven reviews there too, but found only one and it said nuttin bout cooking just the "excellance of German Engineering" as I recall hmmmmmmm, seems like that reviewer's name was Klaus?
    Oh well, if folks just use the model # for the Electrolux, as well as do the same for the Miele they should find plenty of reviews.
    Just curious Antss, did you read the reviews on the AJMadison site and do you think they were "Electrolux Sheers"?

Gary

• kaismom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Electolux is not approved for undercounter installation. Anyone know why.... Because of that, it looks I can't use the Electrolux.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

There was a post about why these ovens can't be installed undercounter.Check the other post about Electrolux Speed Oven Versus Electrolux Micro oven. According to a poster there it is a matter of safety. You can also call Electrolux USA or Miele and ask them too.

Gary

• peggross1
    14 years ago

wow, the nastiness on this thread is so disturbing that I couldn't finish it.

Glad there was less hostility 3 years ago when I was starting to plan my kitchen redo!

Un-real.