SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerryp_gw

Damp Crawl Space - Encapsulate or not?

jerryp
9 years ago

I live in NC where it is hot and humid in summer. We have a 2,000 sqft ranch with crawl space. There has always some moisture in crawl but pest control inspection this year revealed ductwork condensation that had considerable condensation on it creating small puddles throughout crawl. The duct work was 40 years old, was not sealed and insulation was probably at best R2. I had new duct work installed to improve HVAC efficiency and to hopefully improve this problem. The new duct work is certainly more efficient but I still have the condensation problem to a somewhat lesser degree.
I also had a crawlspace solutions company assess problem and they recommended varying degrees of encapsulation ranging in cost from $10 to $16k. Both options would include an interior French drain, dehumidifier w/drain, and sealed vents. Low end solution would include a 10 mil vapor barrier and high end solution would include a 20 mil seal crawlspace solution (includes walls and piers).
I already have a vapor barrier but it is thin, 3 or 4 mil, torn and needs to be replaced. The only foundation timbers I have had to replace in 41 years are those damaged by water leaks. I am not convinced I need to fully encapsulate. I am thinking of installing new vapor barrier of around 10 mil and adding an exterior French drain although the siting of my house is not a problem.
I would like to get feedback from this group. I find lots of research on the Internet advocating encapsulation but it is almost always produced by someone who sells and installs those products. I am looking for informed and objective advice. Thanks for your help.

Comments (4)