SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

basement humidity

andrelaplume2
10 years ago

As a wrap up my basement project I am starting to determine the actual humidity down there and how to deal with it. I had run a dehumidifier for years without really knowing what the humidity level was. The unit broke, I bought a new one and and am now going down a path of trying to get the humitdy down from 60% or so to 50%.

Obstacles are the location of the humidier...ideally it would be near a drain and our drain is in a closet area along side the air handler. If I move it outside the closet its noisy as heck. In either place it runs almost non stop with the compressor kicking on and off every few minutes. Reasearch has show thats how these newer models operate. BTW, The wife does wash down there and also hang some out to dry. Humidity levels appear to differ as much as 8% depending on where I check them in the basement...its not consistent.

Does anyone have any experience putting a return from their heat pump / ac system in down there. To what degree will it lower humidity? I am planning on getting the hvac guys out. Our system is about 4 years old. They said they'd come back and pop a few more vents in down there...to help with heat in the winter...but I am now wondering if a return would help with humidity and/or if there is a downside to adding a return.

Comments (8)