SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estimatedeyes_gw

Induction v Gas - the closer we get, the harder the choice

EstimatedEyes
12 years ago

I thought we were all set -- a Blue Star or Capital 36" gas cooktop (4 burner + griddle), with a 2-hob induction in a secondary cookstation. Then we stumble on a Miele induction demo while looking at ovens (don't get me started on that one yet!), and start thinking maybe we flip it (5 induction/2 gas). Then I stumble on the Berta 3gas/2ind combi unit and, well back to square one. Haven't told the contractor yet, lol, but we still have a little time to decide.

Two questions keep coming up for me --

1. The experience of induction v gas. I know many who use induction just love it after a while, but to me it seems less intuitive than gas ... and then of course there's the fire, that I just love in cooking with gas. Gave up our 6-burner Dacor when we moved into this place to remodel, and been cooking on a 4-burner 1980s era electric POS since. Was drooling over the Blue Star for a while, and having a hard time getting my head around going with a 5-burner induction hob. Your thoughts/experiences might help.

2. OK, so say I've gotten over #1, then there's the question of WHICH hob to get. Had already narrowed it down (obsessive complusive that I am) to Miele, Electrolux Icon, Bosch, then found those Bertazzonis that look amazing ... love the steel knob v. glass touch controls (which feels to me like cooking on an Ipad). And then there's the Berta 3/2 combi in case I can't quite get over #1. Thoughts, experiences from any Miele, Bosch, Electrolux or Berta users also appreciated.

Talk amongst yourselves. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments (14)