SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jinamuro

New Management Is Ruining Our Lives

jinamuro
10 years ago

A couple months ago, my apartment complex got a new management company. Things have been slowly going down hill ever since then. It's now getting to the point where I feel it's inevitable my family and I are going to have to leave when we really don't want to.

It all started with a plumbing problem that happened to be under my unit. The pipes are very old and had started to crumble away. First it was, "We'll have to dig a hole in your pantry to check out the pipes.", which made our pantry unusable. Then it was, "You need to move your fridge. We need to dig a bigger hole to get a better view of the pipes.", which made our whole kitchen unusable. Then it was, "We have to 'relocate' you. All of the pipes under this unit are bad and we have to dig a huge trench through your living room." This forced me and my two disabled parents who are on SSI to have to move from our 2 bedroom into a much smaller one bedroom.

It's been hard on us physically, and living in this cramped apartment is no fun, but we knew things were going to be alright because we believed we'd be able to move back into our old unit once they got all the problems fixed, but things aren't so certain nowadays.

The new manager is telling us she can't guarantee we'll get it back because my step dad has a felony on his record. A one time drug selling charge that happened 20+ years ago, that he unfortunately can't get expunged. Here's the thing though. He's been living in this complex for at least 15 years. He has paid his bills on time every month and has never given any neighbors a reason to complain.

If the new management does decide we can't live here anymore because of his record, how is it that they can do that? Also, we had just signed a lease for our old unit before all of this happened. What are my families rights regarding that?

Comments (4)

Sponsored