SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_maria

Landlady old, & not taking care of the duplex....getting worse.

organic_maria
14 years ago

I need to get this off my chest. I completely blew about 15 minutes ago and started to snap more pictures!!!

Landlady is 88 years old. Diabetic, half deaf, half blind. we've been living in this place for 7 years now. Place was old....built in 1903. so we put in some work to fix it. Paint, fixed all the electrical wires to be embedded inthe walls and not hanging with extention cords. Fixed the bathroom ceiling..there was a hole in it from water leakage....(she says the roof was fixed and is good for another 10 years.) But we foudn out the chimney is where the leaking is comign from. She's asked m y hubby to fix it. He can do the work, but she wont be insured if he does it and if it causes damage to the roof, then she wont be covered by that compnay either!

So over the years , we fix little things we can. out of our own pocket mind you. The rent is low but fora reason. Its a 5 1/2, and with no heat included. So its fair.

Now things are breaking that need professional help. Let me list

1. the chimney, still not fixed,been 6 years now.

2. Garage , entirely leaking...ive lost boxes of my stuff...so i'v eplastified everything. The roof there was patched by the neighbour and my hubby ....this year....he said he wont go onto it. structurally unsafe.

3. Front balcony, rotting away, she needs a professional. she exxpects my husband to place something on top....uh no way...my son already put his foot through a hole! we covered it for now witha 2 by 4...

4. Fire escaped. One broken step at the beginnning...we fixed..now there is 5 broken steps along with racoons coming in and nesting...

5. Leaks in the bathroom now and in the kitchen by the chimney getting worse...ie mold in the bathroom in the last 3 months.

6. Last month dh sister came over with her boyfriend. He grabbed the rail to put on his shoes, railing came off in his hand!!! and i caught him before he went head first down the stairs...we live onthe second floor...16 steps down and up...

7. Since April of htis years, WE HAVE MICE!!!!! Jsut took a picture of a big fat dead mouse next to my freezer...my cat must have played with him..and he cought a baby mouse last night and lost that one.:(

Yes ,im in the process of pakcing and buying a place .Have to wait for the paper work to go through officially. Then i will hand her a letter to terminate the lease. Its an indeterminant lease. No set end date was written. My friend looked it over and i spoke to my accountant. He said this is a month to month lease. You cna tell her with a letter at the beginnningof the month that you will leave at the end of the month.

I haven't gone to the rental board becusae she's been goood to us and we dont want her in trouble.......i just hope to God she doesnt' turn around to refuse. I'm been told its month to month so there is nothing she can do about it. BUT i've taken pics as back up....

What do you guys think???? oh yah, I have spoken to her on the phone about all this in the last 2 months...

p.s Her tree in the back was rotting with fungus...we told her she needsto get it inspected...no..dont touch it she says..well.Last year . IT FELL INTHE MIDDLE OF THE YARD. I was racking 1 hour prior and my sons swing was there...we could have been killed...took pics of that as well!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor