SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

wallmate electrical outlet

andrelaplume2
15 years ago

Since I am using a similar product (slotted pink XPS from HD)...does this sound right: WallMate instructions reccomend using a 1 X 3 fur strip OR a 2 X 3 Fur Strip to allow space for wiring if desired. Do they really sell 2 X 3s or are you to but 2 1 X 3s together?

They then appear to say its *OK* to cut a piece of wood the size of an outlet box (pt wood I assume????) and fasten the wood directly to the concrete wall. You then cut a hole in the XPS to accomadate the wood. You then mount the XPS and then mount an electrical box (platic I assume) to the wood. The 2 X 3 fur strip has left space to drop a wire down to the box. Does this sound right? Up to code? Safe? A poor practice?

I am unusre how you would run wire from one box across to another in this case, maybe you don't...does the wiring typically drop from the basement ceiling to each box?

I can see benefits:

The 1/2" of space between the drywall and foam would make for better insulation...I would think

It is less work than framing! (if yours wall are plumb)

It takes up less space than the XPS + Framing.

What are the downsides?

Is this up to code?

Safe?

Less insulation than adding framing and fg.

Note the area I am doing has 2 walls, one about 28' that will starts at the bottom of the stairs and runs 10' then becomes an 8' closet. I need no outlets in this vicinty. The last 10 or so feet I'd need an outlet. Perpendicular to that would be a 12' wall where I'd desire at least 2 more outlets. It was these final 8 and 12 foot sections where I had planned to XPS and then frame in front of....but if the xps goes up plumb, maybe I do not need to...?

Thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help, ideas and reccomendations.

Comments (9)