SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgodfrey_gw

(Another) basement insulation question

jgodfrey
17 years ago

Hi All,

I've read most of the posts here regarding the various suggestions on basement insulation, but have an additional question...

First, my basic basement insulation plan...

1. Dry-loc the walls for moisture (done)

2. Fasten foam board sheets directly to the walls

3. Build a steel-studded wall (with CCA 2x4 beneath the lower track) against the foam-board.

4. Use standard, paper backed bats between the steel studs

5. Sheet rock over the studs, leaving the sheetrock an inch or two above floor level (to be covered with baseboard).

(No additional vapor barrier).

I know there are different schools of thought regarding the proper way to insulate a basement, and I know that at least a few people will tell me to avoid the fiberglass all together, but I haven't found any other way to "affordably" do this...

So, the first question. Does the above sound adequate for a general plan? Finally, the reason for the post...

Two of the concrete walls in my basement are the below-ground walls which are at the "front" and "side" of my garage (which is up one level from the basement). So, these walls aren't really "exterior" walls, as the earth behind them is beneath the garage floor. Is it necessary to insulate these walls to the extent of the true exterior walls? If not, what is the best way to handle these?

Thanks for any advice.

Jeff

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio