SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbmas0n

Yet Another Insulation Question. What would YOU use?

kbmas0n
16 years ago

We are building our forever home, so we will be there approximately 40-50 years. It is is approximately 2,000 sq ft main living space and will be have an unfinished basement until we can afford to finish it.

We have been builing with the assumption that we will be using BioBase500, a soy foam insulation. We have 2x6 exterior walls and would get the 5.5 inches of foam in all exterior walls and the wall between the master bedroom and garage and the wall between garage and laundry room. We are also going to spray the rim joists. That would run us just over $5,000. To do the walkout basement wall woudld be an additional $1,000.

We are willing to invest this amount of money to make sure that we are saving energy as best we can, but I want to make sure we are doing the right things.

For the attic, we were going to blow in insulation, and put fiberglass batting in the vaulted parts.

I need your help. I want to make sure we are being smart about this and investing our money in the correct places. Thank you for reading all of this!!

Keri

Comments (24)