SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsayg_gw

new and looking for advice about shurbs for weird areas

lindsayg
16 years ago

Hello, I'm new and I love to plant!! I'm not too great at it as sometimes my plants die so I need something kind of hardy :)Anyway, I am happy to be here and learn!!

I have a few weird areas around my house that I would like to put some shrubs. My personal favorite is the privet, or the sweet olive, and there is a purple leaved shrub I saw at home depot but I cant remember the name. It was a deep blue purple kind of twiggy looking. Anyway, The areas are along my driveway, around my screen porch and around my house. The area along my drive way would be considered shade to part shade. There are times where half of the "bed" is in full sun during the day and full sun in the afternoon, but not all parts get this sun. Thats what makes it so hard for me to judge what will go there and be a good grower. I thought about plating some lilies there but found out they need fairly full sun. So, I decided I would put some shrubs there to have a sort of "blocking off" for the drive. I looked around and I like the privet. I like the color and how big it gets and the fact I dont relly have to prune it. The soil content is nice around that area since it is below trees and the leaves have made the soil nice and pretty rich. So would the privet go in that area? Or maybe the sweet olive, or the purple one I cant remember the name of LOL sorry about that but it says sun to partial shade on the tag at home depot (Iknow that probably doesnt have much bearing)

Along my screen porch, ideally I would like the sweet olive for obvious smelling purposes. The area have some morning sun, but after about 12 oclock, no sun at all. Along my house, sun until about 2 or so, then no afternoon sun. I think my biggest deal is that I want to get things pretty much right the first time because I dont want to have to keep spending money to find out what will work out right. There are just so many plants out there, that I just cant decide.....Thanks for the input and help in advance!!

Comments (11)